You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fantastic.

The top image is quite remarkable.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Lovemonkey said:

Fantastic images, I use a modded xbox web cam when I dabble in astro photography. But cloud and light pollution prevent me from doing anything now.  

Thanks all for the great responses.

Light pollution is always a pain; you have to travel for very non polluted skies which are few and far between.  Went to St Davids for a week to be lucky enough for the clouds to clear and get these shots.

Modded Xbox cam should do the job, I did use similar long ago - pop it out of the housing and into an old 35mm film container and it fits a telescope eyepiece as well !!!

Don't give up - wait for a clear night and go for it - 30x30s exposures should do the job if stacked

• 1 month later...

These results are spectacular. Is there any chance you can create either a video or detailed step by step instructions on how you do just one of these. How about " NGC7000 (North American Nebula)" from above. You can assume the stacking phase is ok. DeepSky stacker is simple and free and there's load of videos about that stage.

I've been trying for 6 months to use AP for this and have gotten pretty much nowhere. I hate to say it but there are several videos of PS being used for AstroPhotography processing on youtube. AstroBackYard has one that lasts 45 minutes with no cuts. I downloaded a PS trial followed AstroBackyard's video and hey presto! 45 minutes later, not a bad image of Andromeda. I've tried to translate this into Affinity and my results are rubbish.

I'm sure Affinity can do this but I just can't get it.

Can you elaborate on this: "Apply a moderate levels adjustment first, then curves for some contrast, now remove any vignetting and finally HSL If necessary you can also de-fringe"

HELP!

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, NickPringle said:

These results are spectacular. Is there any chance you can create either a video or detailed step by step instructions on how you do just one of these. How about " NGC7000 (North American Nebula)" from above. 

I am working on a pdf for this at the moment though may be some time

Will post it here when complete

As per Nicks post "Is there any chance you can create either a video or detailed step by step instructions on how you do just one of these."

Here is the method I use in ap for narrowband processing and its output

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if there are any questions!!!

ap processing astronomy.pdf

soul nebulasmall.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 7:48 PM, S. Schraebler said:

This is the Embryo Nebula aka IC1848 in Hubble Palette as I obtain it by just combining S[II], Ha and O[III] as RGB and the final version with tone mapping, selective color and removing a lot of green from the image.

Best Sighard

IC1848_MIXSHO_AIP1_S.Schraebler.jpg

IC1848_ONTC12R_1163mm_QSI583wsg_21x3x300s_SHO3nm_bin212_processed,_S.Schraebler.jpg

Love the close up of this section.  I have never tried at that resolution before so have something new to target over the next couple of month