HairyDalek

Problems With New From Clipboard - Affinity Photo

HI,

Got a 1200 ppi image that I want to crop down into smaller chunks. What I don]t want is the final documents retaining the full original image. So I’m trying the File>New From Clipboard option

I have found some problems.

1 - Open an image (mine is a scan at 1200ppi)

2 - Using the Selection Tool, draw a marquee on the image

3 - Go to Edit>Copy (Make sure you have a bitmap layer selected)

4 - Go to File>New From Clipboard

5 >> First off, Affinity Photo reports this new image as 69dpi (should this be Pixels Per Inch?), not 1200 as the original is. The pixel dimensions seem the same, but clearly not all information is carried over.

Secondly, if the image is already cropped:

1 - Open an image in Photo

2 - Use the crop tool to crop the image down a bit. Save, close, and reload the image

3 - Using the selection tool, select everything inside the crop window.

4 - Go to Edit>Copy (Make sure you have a bitmap layer selected)

5 - Go to File>New From Clipboard

6 >> You get a transparent border around the image.

Hey HairyDalek,

I believe this is because we do not copy the metadata over on a copy and paste. If you display the EXIF Panel from View > Studio you will see it just says n/a for all the entries. 

Are you seeing a transparent border down the left side? Does changing your zoom fix it? I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing as you but I get a white line down the left side that doesn't export. It's just a screen rendering issue. 

11 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey HairyDalek,

I believe this is because we do not copy the metadata over on a copy and paste. If you display the EXIF Panel from View > Studio you will see it just says n/a for all the entries. 

Are you seeing a transparent border down the left side? Does changing your zoom fix it? I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing as you but I get a white line down the left side that doesn't export. It's just a screen rendering issue. 

Thanks for the reply.

EXIF data - the original image in this case doesn’t have much by way of EXIF data, as it was scanned. If I go to Edit>Resize Document, the correct DPI settings are there. It’s not in the EXIF panel.

5acdfc44d482c_ScreenShot2018-04-11at13_14_38.thumb.PNG.830310316d65e9cd57db54a5e7cf0327.PNG

So, it seems that other than dimensions and the scanner manufacturer, there is little there to copy anyway.

There have been instances where I have seen a transparent border on an image, but not just the left hand side, all of them. I’ve not been able to reproduce that today (always the way), but it was consistent and repeatable last week. The border looked about somewhere between 4-8 pixels across, and was added to the size of the image, so what was copied from the main document was correct, but extra padding added.