You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Now that I have made the switch to AP I am re-working many of my astrophotography macros.

I will share them here with brief instructions and encourage others to share theirs.

All my macros are for Windows OS

This set of 3 takes the basic individual monochrome filtered R G and B images and converts each into a colour channel.  

Load each RGB file separately into AP, Run the respective macro and copy the output of each into a single AP layered document, then set the blend mode of each to add

This will output a single RGB non white balanced file

grey to blue.afmacro

grey to green.afmacro

grey to red.afmacro

This macro enhances sharpness of luminance file whilst keeping noise down and is designed to work with a master luminance file only.  It will produce several layers each sharpened using differing luminosity values in the original.

Before running the macro you will need to either duplicate the background layer or (preferably) insert a copy of the background layer but without the stars.  It will not work unless both layers are present.

It will also ask for several figures.  In box a you will need to enter roughly 3 * resolution in arc seconds per pixel (ASPP), second box 2 * that figure, third box 4* that figure etc...  BTW - works at its best with oversamples images of say 0.45aspp to 1.5aspp

The higher the number the more the background will be affected, so if background gets too noisy undo and re-run the macro with a lower starting value.

apf macro.afmacro

22 hours ago, Wosven said:

Thanks ! Every time Someone give some goodies, I want to test them. I just need to begin doing astrophotography  :)

Try the apf macro on a standard picture - works well and brings out depth of detail without adding noise

Here is a sample photo with the final layer included - by turning each layer on and off you can see how the differing levels of sharpness operate

When you load the macro just untick the first line (Convert Colours) to leave the image colouring alone.

Enjoy:)

P1010819.afphoto

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying for ages to separate genuine luminance from master RGB image.

This macro does just that job - load into macros .  Once run you can turn off background visibility.  It allows you to apply significant blur to the colour component without affecting the overall luminance

Hope you find it useful

Clear skies

Luminosity Mask.afmacros

Anyone used to astronomy tools in PS is probably used to removing stars from astro images and the advantages that gives.

This macro will remove all stars from an image, the image should be RGB 16bit or Grayscale 16bit and have the background layer duplicated once before running.

It will ask for black and white levels, the black can generally be left alone but adjust the white level up or down until all stars are removed.

In general resize your image first to about 1000px wide and find what figures work for white level then run with those figures in your main image as this macro can take a while depending on number of stars, image size etc...  It will also produce a spare channel with a star selection mask - ultra useful in astro photos.

The starless layer mode can be changed to overlay, difference etc to great effect especially if opacity is also changed

WARNING - if you make too many changes to the white and black levels before applying the rendering seems to slow down each time !?

Would appreciate knowing if anyone can speed up the preview rendering

Clear skies and enjoy

star deletion.afmacro

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
6 hours ago, Noobulosity said:

I realize this is an old thread by now.  However, I tried installing these macros into the latest version of Affinity Photo and it does not recognize them as valid macros.  Any chance there are updated versions compatible with v1.8?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you're talking about the file provided by Dr Astronomy a few posts up, "these macros" is incorrect. It is one macro (.afmacro, not .afmacros) and you would import it into the Macro studio panel, not the Library studio panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1