You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

raw image luminosity calculation still inaccurate with Affinity Photo

On 4/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, owenr said:

I have DxO PhotoLab Elite 1.1.2 - the current version.

You can set the app to apply no user adjustments (known as corrections in DxO) on loading a raw file or RGB image, but you cannot disable the initial automatic toning that is applied to a raw file before the user adjustments.

In AP, the equivalent behaviour to DxO with no corrections is achieved by enabling Tone Curve in the Develop Assistant.

Yes you can! What leads you to believe that corrections are being made when these are turned off? I've been using DXO for a few years and after discussions with other people on other forums the consensus was that this is the setup that loads a RAW file with totally no corrections applied.

dxo_no_correct.jpg

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

On 4/7/2018 at 7:14 PM, R C-R said:

At least in the screenshot you provided, DxO Smart Lighting is applied, using the "Slight" preset. In effect, this will adaptively change the exposure in different parts of the photo.

"NO" Corrections were applied to the DXO screenshot that I posted, smart lighting was turned off and any preset corrections on load were also turned off. I think you are confusing my post with someone elses?

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

2 hours ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

Yes you can! What leads you to believe that corrections are being made when these are turned off? I've been using DXO for a few years and after discussions with other people on other forums the consensus was that this is the setup that loads a RAW file with totally no corrections applied.

I don't have or use the app, but from page 33 of the online DxO PhotoLab - User Guide there is this:

●  No correction deactivates all of the corrections in DxO PhotoLab, so images are displayed "as shot." In the case of RAW files, DxO PhotoLab

still performs demosaicing using all of the basic settings that are optimal for your camera.

Make of that what you will.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, owenr said:

I'm not confusing posts. You are refusing to accept the fact that disabling all DxO corrections does not prevent the initial automatic toning of a raw file to produce an image that looks similar to what the camera would have output as JPEG.

This post was directed to R C-R

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't have or use the app, but from page 33 of the online DxO PhotoLab - User Guide there is this:

Make of that what you will.

All demosaicing is, is the processing of reconstructing a RAW file and overlaying CFA interpolation. Each camera manufacturer using a different file type. This doen't mean any corrections are applied.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

6 hours ago, owenr said:

I'm not confusing posts. You are refusing to accept the fact that disabling all DxO corrections does not prevent the initial automatic toning of a raw file to produce an image that looks similar to what the camera would have output as JPEG.

I Don't really care if I'm refusing or not (no need to get personal), I don't use DxO anymore anyway. I'm using Affinity now and I am happy with it. All I'm saying is I've used at least a dozen RAW editors in the the past 10 years or so and Affinity Photo is the only one that behaves the way it does.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

28 minutes ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

All demosaicing is, is the processing of reconstructing a RAW file and overlaying CFA interpolation. Each camera manufacturer using a different file type. This doen't mean any corrections are applied.

However, the user guide says demosaicing is performed "using all of the basic settings that are optimal for your camera" but nowhere I can find is there a definitive explanation of what all these per-camera optimized "basic settings" might be. Whether this should be considered "corrections" or something else is open to debate but whatever you call it, the implication is these settings are somehow involved.

Besides, as you probably know different apps use different CFA interpolation algorithms. As the Wikipedia article (among others) mentions, most raw development apps do not give users a choice of which algorithm to use. I assume DxO uses one of the more sophisticated ones, or possibly one of several depending on the camera or on some per-file analysis, but that is just a guess. Regardless, neither DxO nor Affinity Photo give users a choice so it is hard to say with any certainty what, if any, impact this might have on the so-called "uncorrected" file processed by either app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, owenr said:

LOL

That's not all you were saying, otherwise our disagreement wouldn't have persisted so long. You were repeatedly stating that DxO does not behave the way it actually does, and you also stated that AP was in need of correction.

I've posted several times in this thread that to get AP to behave in the same way as the other raw developers you've used, the Tone Curve option should be enabled in the Develop Assistant.

i understand what you are saying. But if you take a photo that is properly exposed in camera there should be "NO" need to adjust exposer in any RAW developer. But in AP you have to, and in my eyes this is not right (even when I have the Develop Assistant Tone Curve turned on!) When I shoot a wedding I shouldn't have to adjust exposer for every photo I take when I know 90% are exposed correctly! Time is money.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2