You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stacking: How to combine "Long Exposure" and "Object Removal"

Hi guys,

I have a couple of fotos of a nice beach scene in which I used the stacking technique for object remove to remove people walking around. But at the same time I would like to use "Long Exposure Simulation" to smoothen out the sea movement.  How can I combine these two techniques? Any idea?

Kind regards

Sebastian

• Staff

Hey Sebastian, object removal is Median stacking, which should already produce a long exposure effect with the sea - is this not the case for you? You should get both results you're after from the same stack.

If not, one approach might be to do a Merge Visible with a Median stack, hide it, change the stack to Mean and do another merge visible. You'll then have two merged pixel layers--one Median, one Mean. You could then add a mask layer to one and blend them together. This might not work if you've got people in the sea though...

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi James,

thanks for the quick reply. I was just thinking about rephrasing my question into how to combine two different stacks... just tried it out.

I created two new stacks, one with Median one with Mean. And created a new Layer with the selected part. Worked as intended! :-)

Thanks for the quick help and pointin me into the right direction. Just started :-)

Kind regards

Sebastian