You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I have a web layout that I've created using Affinity Designer and I want to export it as a PSD with layers (preferrably editable where possible) so someone I'm working with who only has and knows Photoshop can make changes.

However, when I export the layout no matter which preset I choose (even PSD preserve editability) it always exports flattened to one pixel background layer. I'm opening the result in Photoshop CC 2018.

What do I need to change so that it will export my document to layers?

• Staff

Hi lastfuture,

It would be hard to say why the document is being flattened without seeing it. If you dont want to post it in this thread please could you send me a private message.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, dutchshader said:

You must have real layers in your designer file, not the curves layers.

I am not sure about this but I do not think that is necessarily true, at least with the PSD preserve edibility preset. I don't have PS to test with but opening a test PSD file exported from Affinity Designer that has just 2 simple curve layers but no enclosing "(Layer)" in Apple's Preview app shows it has 3 layers, one with an (I assume) default 'background" name & either 2 more with no names or with the custom names I give those curve layers.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Everyone!

This appears to be due to the Threshold filter you have clipped to the top of your ArtBoard if you bring it outside of the ArtBoard it should work fine. I have spoken to our QA team regarding this and they seem to think this behaviour is by design.

Thanks

C

• 5 months later...
  • Staff
32 minutes ago, carlosrovira said:

Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Have an Affinity document with lots of layers and need to export to PSD to share with other people, but the export only has one layer.

@Callum, I can send you the file privately to see what's happening. Hope you could let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Thank you I have responded to your message :) 

• 1 month later...

Hi

Sorry to bump an old thread but thought it would be preferable over starting a new one with a similar title.

I am having problems exporting to PSD too, as above my Layers become flattened when the exported doc is opened in Photoshop. I have tried various export options but not got the desired result.

I would investigate the 'Threshold filter' mentioned above but am sure I have not used it.

Thanks in advance

Hi MEB

Thanks for the prompt reply and the welcome.

My problem is a multi-layer document being reduced to once layer one exported as a PSD. I was hoping I had just missed an obvious setting somewhere.

Could I send you a link to the document via PM as opposed to sharing publicly?

Just a quick update and thanks to MEB for the help.

My exported Affinity Designer project exported to PSD was not opening with Layers intact due to me using a very old version of Photoshop.

I tried opening the file on a different machine with a newer version of Photoshop and the document opened up with all Layers in place as expected.

Thanks again for the help. :-) 

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone 

I’m new to the forum and I’m still trialling  all the affinity apps but when I tried to export files in PSD I couldn’t open them in photoshop (using either of the apps).

I could see the layers but couldn’t edit them at all and I would like to be able to as I make custom planners for people and they usually ask for a PSD file. 

Can someone help? 

I don’t quite understand the threshold mentioned above as I’m new and still learning, would appreciate some help. 

thanks in advance 

Safia 

• Staff

Hi Safia,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I believe you are referring mostly to text layers correct? Currently Affinity doesn't export text layers as editable text layers to Photoshop. They are rasterised (converted to images/pixels) on export. This is something we would like to implement but due to the closed nature of the PSD format/lack of documentation is not something easy to achieve, sorry. If that's not the case do you mind attaching the original affinity document/file you are trying to export as PSD? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private or are having trouble uploading it to the forums.

• 1 month later...

While I understand about the photoshop thing, this printing issue of not being able to print to 100% K is really bad. This has cost my client around 8 hours of work trying to work this out and now I can't even fix it in Photoshop.  Now I have to go back to Adobe (this still may be true).

All the layers actually worked and everything is fine?

Edited by Workingonswitching
It actually worked, the mod's info was incorrect.

• 2 months later...

Noob here

I'm having similar issues with not being able to export an editable PSD. The export file flattens all layers when reopened in Photoshop.

Anyone around that could send a private upload link to take a look?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JutGent18

• Staff

Hi JutGent,
Thanks for the file. I confirm some elements were rasterised on export (adjustments + headshots) as well as editable text layers as i mentioned above. All the rest was exported as editable shape layers. I'm sending a screenshot via PM comparing part of the files (layers) in Designer and Photoshop (just in case you wanted to keep it private). It this what you are getting too?

Apart from the adjustments (i will log this), what else was flattened that you weren't expecting it to?

Yes, thanks so much for taking a look and the side-by-side with Photoshop.

I expected the text not being editable per your messages to others but I didn't expect the adjustments to not be editable. That's a bit of a bummer.

I'm looking for a best practices from a settings standpoint when exporting .PSD to other designers. So far I have:

-Create and organize curves in layers

-What will not be editable after export: any text and any adjustments done to layers (i.e. exposure, levels, white balance, black and white, etc)

Is there anything else I'm missing so I can make a doc I can work off of to give my designers the best export from Affinity?

Thanks again for the support!