You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Options to update an embeded document

I read on another thread about Affinity Designer not having the ability to link files. I have a drawing that I'm embedding in another document. Whenever I make changes to the original drawing, I have to come back and replace the embedded file with the same file in order for it to reflect the changes made.

My question would be. Its this the only way to accomplish this before the program gains the ability to link files, or is there another way I'm not aware off.

• Staff

Hi CVA,

if you select your embedded document then click Edit Document in the context tool bar a new project will open with your embedded document in it any changes made here should be reflected in your original project :) 

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

10 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi CVA,

if you select your embedded document then click Edit Document in the context tool bar a new project will open with your embedded document in it any changes made here should be reflected in your original project :) 

C

I tried that and that kind of works. I'm embedding another designer file in my case. Whenever i select "edit document" it doesn't open the original embeded file, but instead opens another tab where i can make changes to the drawing. Is this normal behavior ?

10 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi CVA,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Besides the Edit Document button @Callum suggested you can also double-click the embedded object on canvas to open it in a new document tab ready for editing.

So any changes on the opened new tab will only be reflected on the document from which I initiated the "edit document" action right.?. It wont do anything to the original file.?

I guess the behavior I'm after will be provided by the "Linked Files" feature that's not present right now