You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't like "moving" photos in any view

I don't know how to explain this, I can't figure out how to search for it. So, here goes. I really, really don't like the fact that the photo I am working on will move around when I happen to drag a finger on the mouse or the touchpad. There has to be a simple way to stop this behavior, but I cannot find it. Yes, I understand why one might want to have a canvas, (right word here?) larger than the photo or logo or whatever item I might be working on, but! If I am only working on a photo, why should it "wiggle" around???

Thanks,

CJT

Lock the layer.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

What Operating System are you using? Mac?

The canvas cannot be locked, a layer can, but the canvas will still move. The reason for the moving canvas becomes apparent when you zoom into an image, having a Canvas locked would not allow you to move around the image in a zoomed state.

You could try reducing the sensitivity of the mouse/trackpad.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

In my opinion, there must be something wrong with your setup, regardless of the operating system. You said that your canvas moves when you happen to drag “a” finger on the mouse or the touchpad. Do you mean “one” finger? That should never happen … :(

• Staff

Hi Charles J Taft,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

It's not possible to disable the panning in the app. The only difference for the other apps - as you noted - is that we do also allow panning when the image/canvas fits the work area. This may get in the way in the beginning but usually it becomes less and less annoying as you get used to the app. Give it a try. If you still feel it interferes with your work after some time go ahead a fill a feature request for an option to automatically lock the canvas when the image fits the workspace.

If you are using a Mac you can disable this behaviour through the System Preferences however this will affect the whole system which i don't believe you want to do. Another option is to use a regular mouse rather than a touch based one (which is also far from an ideal solution too). I don't know if it's possible to disable it system wide on Windows (have to check it first).

First, sorry I should have said "Mac" OS.

To all, thanks  for ideas. To MEB, got me to look into my "excess equipment box" (you all have one, right?), dug out an older Apple wireless mouse, the one with a scroll button on top and two buttons on the sides. This seems to be an acceptable solution, as you have to press down to activate the hand move. And so far, I can have two different mice, as they have different names. We shall see! 

CJT