You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Search or Sort Layers

• 2 months later...

Yes, a good feature request. I often have hundreds of layers, and scrolling thru them can often be quite difficult. So over to features request.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

1 hour ago, cadobir said:

I second the request for a feature to search and/or sort layers by name, type (pixel or adjustment), blend mode, etc. For my work it's critical.

This has already been requested in the Feature Requests, Suggestions and Feedback forum, which is where all feature requests should be made.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

Yes please! Search/Sort Layers 

Search by layer type (pixel, group, vector, mask, adjustment filter, live filter)
Search by blend mode
Search by name/layer description
Search locked/unlocked layers
Search visible/hidden layers
Search all layers with "x" FX applied to them
Search by opacity level

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, Oshawk said:

I have a situation where I have ~650 layers, all well named that I need to search through quickly to hide/show for different permutations of an image. Is there a way I can either sort the layers alphabetically to find them more easily or search for them.

+1

I am in exactly the same situation. A search feature would be more than useful.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 8:32 AM, Gabe said:

Hi @Oshawk,

Unfortunately, we do not have a search feature for the layers panel. Sorting the layers alphabetically would not be possible either :( It would be more of a manual search. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Would there be a way to sort by type and then alphabetically? Surely there has to be some way to implement this feature. Would be extremely useful in examining the samples provided for enabling items in groups that are properly named and would increase learning and workflow/sharing. Some way of keeping track of every object in the scene and being able to reference it would be worth the time to integrate it. 

8 hours ago, FoolsErrand said:

Surely there has to be some way to implement this feature.

Hello @FoolsErrand and welcome to the forum.

I agree that a search function or even some more managing options would be good. But as it is at the moment this is not easily possible. The layer's order is their stacking order. If a reordering (e.g. by type or name) would actually reorder the actual order of the layers it would completely ruin the design.

In my opinion the only way around is is to introduce layer properties or labels (whatever they are called) that can be searched and filtered independently of the actual stacking order. But this would need additional programing. It's not as easy as it looks.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 8:02 AM, Oshawk said:

Hello,

I have a situation where I have ~650 layers, all well named that I need to search through quickly to hide/show for different permutations of an image. Is there a way I can either sort the layers alphabetically to find them more easily or search for them.

Thanks.

I want to bump this up.  Large files become unusable. This is probably a "need to have" -- I would switch off Affinity Designer for almost anything that had that functionality.  Figma makes search easy. But, it alas doesn't have some of the wonderful bells and whistles.  To boot, I can't find any good tutorial on how to ideally organize large files for manageability.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...