Maarten Langeveld

File sizes .aphoto project keeps increasing even when pixel layers are deleted !

When working on a affinity photo project, the .aphoto project file size keeps increasing even when I delete layers, convert document from RBG/16 to RGB/8. After my workflow from importing 16 megapixel RAW file as AdobeRGB in RGB/16, develop the image using Development Persona, doing some stuff in Photo persona using a second pixel layer, in the end flatten to one pixel layer and just adding two non pixel layers layers (soft proof adjustment and high pass filter), convert document to sRGB in RGB/8, leaves me a .aphoto file of 199 Mb (!!! not kidding). Save as reduces filesize to (a still ridiculous) 159 Mb.

It is:

(1) strange that "save" and "save as" the same .aphoto project leaves different filesizes (in casu 199 Mb vs 159 Mb), should be the same!

(2) ridiculous that a affinity photo project containing just a 16 megapixel 8 bit RGB pixel layer and one adjustment layer and one filter layer has a file size that is more than three times the image size (16 Mega pixel times 3 bytes (8 bit colour per channel))

These ultra huge file sizes are a problem, please fix. I am using Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 on Windows 10.

Hey Maarten Langeveld,

Affinity is optimised for loading speed as opposed to file size. This is by design but I would recommend doing a Google search for 'Affinity file size' and you will find some very useful information from development (especially Ben and Dave) as to why we do this.

One of the many threads can be found here - 

I'm not sure if we will be adding an option to clear out redundant data from a file but I did read that this might be addressed when we release Affinity Publisher. 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand but do not understand quite frankly.

When it takes at least 200 MB per 16 mp photo that I process in Affinity, I won't using Affinity anymore I'm afraid. Hope you guys and girls at Affinity understand that file sizes are extremely huge.

Hope you'll add a 'save for archiving' option that (1) strips all redundant data (for optimisation) en (2) losslessy compresses remaining project data to Affinity Photo (and not exclusively for Publisher).

Hi @Maarten Langeveld, afphoto files aren't designed for archiving, they're designed for fast loads, as has already been mentioned. If you want a smaller file, you should try exporting the document, as that will only keep the final image data.

The difference in file size between Save and Save As is because we append data when saving, in order to be fast (which can result in redundant data in the file). When you do Save As it writes the file from scratch, ensuring no redundant data is present.