You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello! First post! Excited to be a part of the community. Absolutely loving Affinity, just got a couple of questions that have been confusing me about making selections. 

The refine tool seemed awesome at first and I was cutting out complex subjects from messy backgrounds easily, but now I’m finding upon closer examination that it’s really not that neat of a selection. I’ve seen other people ask similar questions so my question is this...when I refine a selection to a new layer with mask, why when turning off the mask do I see an image like the second one I posted? With the nasty selection outlining the subject? Also, how do I get a cleaner selection without all that mess along the borders? I’m extracting the subject from a very plain background, I dont think it should be coming out like this (third photo)....thank you guys! 

2C4175B5-7226-438B-B40A-8123FFBE8174.png

476728E2-9D4F-4429-A232-A61D068BF715.png

8422503D-112C-43C6-96EA-98157E107E22.png

• Staff

Hi exploremoar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is a known "issue" that's logged and that we are looking into. One way to work around this is duplicating the original image (before starting the selection refinement process) and then output to a mask rather than a new layer with mask.

hey so i have another quick question. creating a new layer with a mask...im trying to paint white outside of the bounds of the mask and i can only paint until the border of the original image that i tok the selection from. I want to go outside of this border. Ive tried pasting onto new documents and cropping the image bigger so i have more canvas but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Thanks!

Clipping the canvas restricts its size to the image size. Unclipping expands the canvas to fill the layer.

another idea might be to resize the image which will increase the canvas size.

CEF4BB0A-411E-4359-9DCB-1B80144DA231.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thank u guys. I got a couple more questions. 

Is there a way to view a layer mask as black and white (outside of refine selections)??

does affinity photo for ipad have a “decontaminate colors” like photoshop? For getting rid of color fringing on selections. 

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi exploremoar,

1. Select the mask layer, tap the ellipsis button on the top of the Layers Studio, then tap the Solo button.

2. No. Feel free to create a new thread for this in the Feature Requests section if there's none already.

Thank you friend!!

There was another thread on removing halo fringing around selections. Referred to a PS technique where a Levels adjustment is applied to the mask, then black setting is increased. I tried this technique on my iPad. AP and it worked well. Hope it is ok to link it here (if not mods please remove link).

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/