You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I make these 3 circles all the same distance from these triangle points?

Hi everyone, I'm trying to move these circles to all be an equal distance from each other as well as the points of the triangle, it doesn't seem possible with the snapping system and I have no clue how to move them the way I want, can anyone help? I've attached a screenshot

Thanks

Capture.PNG

Dylan SJ Perez

I haven’t tried this, Dylan, but from your description it looks to me as though each circle must be centred on a vertex of a smaller, similar triangle which itself is centred on the original one. Duplicate the existing triangle, shrink it while holding down Shift to maintain its aspect ratio, and then also hold down Ctrl to resize it from the centre; I think you should find that snapping the centres of the circles to the vertices of the new triangle will give you the result that you want.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

40 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I haven’t tried this, Dylan, but from your description it looks to me as though each circle must be centred on a vertex of a smaller, similar triangle which itself is centred on the original one. Duplicate the existing triangle, shrink it while holding down Shift to maintain its aspect ratio, and then also hold down Ctrl to resize it from the centre; I think you should find that snapping the centres of the circles to the vertices of the new triangle will give you the result that you want.

Your solution worked, but I had to mess with it first, I made the mistake of converting the original triangle to curves, which shifted the center point down, not exactly sure why. Messing with it a bit more I decided to use the original shape before it was converted, lay out some more shapes as guides and then go about moving the circles, I'm not sure if what I said makes much sense, but either way, the solution did it for me, thanks.

Dylan SJ Perez

Seems pretty straight forward to me… (But maybe I'm missing something?!)

5ac4e0e361784_AffinityTrianglewithThreeCircles.gif.34d2dc35611b0dcf45f5dc52b18c1e20.gif

1. Draw a Triangle using the Polygon Tool (sides = 3)
  2. Draw a Circle and snap it it the top point of the Triangle
  3. Move the Circle down to achieve the desired offset
  4. Show then Snap the Rotation Center of the Circle to the center of the Triangle
  5. Duplicate (Ctrl+J) and rotate 120 degrees
  6. Power duplicate to create the third Circle

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

30 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Seems pretty straight forward to me… (But maybe I'm missing something?!)

5ac4e0e361784_AffinityTrianglewithThreeCircles.gif.34d2dc35611b0dcf45f5dc52b18c1e20.gif

1. Draw a Triangle using the Polygon Tool (sides = 3)
  2. Draw a Circle and snap it it the top point of the Triangle
  3. Move the Circle down to achieve the desired offset
  4. Show then Snap the Rotation Center of the Circle to the center of the Triangle
  5. Duplicate (Ctrl+J) and rotate 120 degrees
  6. Power duplicate to create the third Circle

This would've been the quicker way, I wouldn't have thought of it, I used Alfred's method, it didn't take long anyways, all I had to do was move a center point and draw a smaller triangle.

As for how straightforward it is, yeah it's easy now that I think about it, but I am still new to Affinity software (and vector in general) so I'm still learning all of the ways that I can do things, as well as workarounds.

This is the method that I used.

Thanks for the help!

Capture.PNG

Dylan SJ Perez

16 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Always good to discover different ways of doing these things.

Here's another..

Start with a small triangle
Snap the circles to the points of the triangle (as shown in the image below)
Then holding the CTRL key, scale the triangle bigger to the size you want

triangle.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Start with a small triangle
Snap the circles to the points of the triangle (as shown in the image below)
Then holding the CTRL key, scale the triangle bigger to the size you want

Yes, that works just as well as the method I suggested. Hardly surprising, really, since it’s the same method in reverse! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)