You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I "crop" the "canvass"?

I'm used to old Serif ways of thinking, so can anybody straighten me out on this Affinity Designer problem? I imported a wide jpg as a tracing template. SUbsequently, I changed the layout to a rough square, but I'm stuck with the wider format. I want to trim this to fit the actual graphic which only takes up half the "canvass".

I can't for the life of me see how Designer allows you to do this, although it seems such a basic task. Help!

You could create an Artboard From Selection, so, select the image and...

5ac38c64755cd_ScreenShot2018-04-03at15_13_39.png.83fb8db56352c383aa1311be4aea43d9.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Paul Martin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Here's a few ways you can try:

- you can go to File ▸ Document Setup and adjust the document dimensions to the new size you want;

- select and copy all layers on your document (menu Edit ▸ Copy) then go to menu File ▸ New From Clipboard to create a new document with the same dimensions and the content copied to the clipboard;

- or select the Artboard Tool, click Insert Artboard in the context toolbar to convert the current canvas to an artboard then drag the artboard handles on canvas to adjust the size visually. You can also do it with the Move Tool- just make sure the Artboard layer is selected in the Layers panel and that Lock Children is ticked in the context toolbar.