You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Histogram Variance Mac and iPad

Hello, I am working through the Affinity Photo Workbook with my Mac and iPad to learn both applications simultaneously. I noticed that the histograms are different between the two when opening up a raw file. Why is there a difference? Please see the two screen shots for the exact same unaltered image from the Workbook. They seem to be quite different, so I must not be seeing them the same in the application.

Mac Screenshot.png

iPad Screenshot.PNG

My first guess would be to check the Assistant settings in both the desktop and the iPad versions. Your two screenshots look subtly different, and I’m guessing that a tone curve is being applied in one but not in the other. Also, you may get results that are closer to each other by changing the Raw engine used in the desktop version (I’m not sure if this is possible in the iPad version.)

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thanks smadell for responding. I cannot find the Assistant settings in the iPad version in the Develop Persona. I found it on the Mac. I saw another thread that states: "If you open a document, then tap the document menu (next to the close document button, top left), you'll see Assistant." I do not see the document menu in the iPad Develop Persona. Next to the close button I have Commands and there is not Assistant listed there. From my attached screen shot there seems to be a tone curve applied, but I cannot verify this on the iPad right now - I cannot find the information.

Develop Assistant Mac.png

• Staff

Hi daduran,

To access the Assistant on the iPad tap the Document icon on the top left of the interface then select Assistant (it's the last item on that menu). The Tone Curve setting is on the right column almost on the bottom. To better compare the desktop and iPad versions you should set the RAW engine in the desktop version to the Apple (Core Image RAW) - the first dropdown on your screenshot above - since there's no Serif engine on the iPad version - it uses the system level engine provided by Apple.

Hi MEB and smadell,

Here are screen shots of my two Assistant menus. They seem to be similar, but I am still getting the different histograms seen above. I also set the RAW image in the Mac Version to Core Image Raw. Any other ideas? Both screen shots above are done without any modifications being made in the Develop Persona. I can attach the image file as well, but would want to ensure I am not causing any issues with Serif since it comes with their Affinity Photo Workbook.

Trying to understand this, it seems something is wrong with my setup or how it is viewing the file. Thanks for helping.

Develop Assistant Mac2.png

Assistant iPad.PNG

• Staff

Hi daduran,

This is a known issue with the histogram in Develop Persona on the desktop version. Please see Pauls's reply here and the rest of the thread for details. If you press the Develop button and move to Photo Persona it should then display the histogram correctly as you are seeing in the iPad version. Then go back to Develop Persona again pressing the Develop Persona icon in the main toolbar. This is already logged as an improvement for a future update. I've bumped our report and linked to this thread for reference.