mqudsi

AD 2500% CPU usage doing nothing

I've been having a problem with AD burning up CPU cycles doing absolutely nothing with a lot of documents open after some time. Per earlier conversations, I went through all the documents and made sure nothing was selected/there was no marquee in any of the tabs. The behavior persists when AD is minimized.

On a 32 Core/64GB machine it was using ~80% of total system resources or approximately 2500% of a single core with no operations in progress and a blank document active.

I ran it through Windows Performance Analyzer and fortunately some of the AD symbols were available so I have the following to share:

AD CPU stack trace.png

Got almost the same thing on Mac. 

Affinity uses less Ram than other tools of the same nature but uses a lot CPU. 

So I have to keep Photo, browser and other software I may need closed if I want to enjoy ADesigner. 

Then sometime it's just work no problem.

A fix to this? 

Never be the Same Again !
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - VIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6  - Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo + Affinity Publisher + Snagit 2019 + Camtasia 2018 + Movavi Video Editor Business 15

It looks like it's constantly invalidating the tool, which only normally happens when you have a pixel selection. Did you have no pixel selections at all (I know you said marquee selections, but marquee selections are one type of pixel selections)?

Yeah, I tabbed through all the documents and clicked outside the objects to "unselect" objects.

(Additionally, this is exactly what I was referring to in my thread about background tabs and AD in the background - pixel selections in non-active tabs should not result in any calculations.)

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Doing what? How many files open? Any pixel selections?

@Mark Ingram i want to bring one detail here about that CPU usage.

don't know about others but on my Mac (Core2Duo, 8GB RAM - 500Gb HDD - High Sierra 10.13.3) i have noticed the following to get Affinity work very well:

1- Remove Firefox (keep safari only)

2- Remove Photoshop and all installed third party stuffs

3- Remove Adobe Muse

After doing that, the not only CPU usage dropped a bit but also RAM occupation.

i believe it has something to do with shared libraries or plugins that naturally occurs on O.S (both Windows and MacOS)

I'm not saying to everyone to remove their Adobe products but applying what i wrote above dropped the thing and even Affinity Design load a bit more faster but still i need to study and understand it from the point of view of my setup as it may help Dev's and others to understand their config and solve issues they may face.

Never be the Same Again !
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - VIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6  - Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo + Affinity Publisher + Snagit 2019 + Camtasia 2018 + Movavi Video Editor Business 15

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Clicking outside an object isn't enough to deselect a pixel selection - you need to choose Select | Deselect from the menus (or CTRL-D).

and this affects inactive tabs, too?