You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merging layers in Affinity not possible (for me)

hi,

all the info i read say it is possible to merge layers in Affinity Designer by:

- selecting the layers you want to merge (in my case some vector layers)

- choose Merge layers

however, no matter what i do (right clicking, going to the layers menu) i never see the option to merge the layers?! or flatten them;

drives me crazy, been looking for it now so long, help is much appreciated!

imac 27", macOS high sierra, ipad pro, affinity designer and photo on both desktop and ipad, lots of adobe stuff, not used since the arrival of affinity B|

is this question still for approval with the moderator, after 15 hours?

imac 27", macOS high sierra, ipad pro, affinity designer and photo on both desktop and ipad, lots of adobe stuff, not used since the arrival of affinity B|

It is now 11 o’clock on Tuesday morning here in the UK, so when you posted 19 hours ago it was 4 o’clock in the afternoon on Easter Monday (a holiday) and 15 hours ago it was 8 o’clock in the evening of the same day.

You can flatten a layer by right-clicking it in the Layers panel and choosing the ‘Rasterize...’ option, and you can use Geometry operations to combine vector layers. Please provide more details about what you’re trying to do.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

ok thanks for your response; but it seems possible to react to questions while they are not yet approved, looking at your reaction; unless you are a moderator :-)

• Staff

Hi cezi,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

These Merge options/commands are only available in Affinity Photo. To merge layers in Affinity Designer group them, then right-click on the group in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. The group will be flattened into a single layer (and also rasterised which i believe you don't want to). If by "merge" vectors you mean turn them into a single "compound" object you have to use the boolean operations to add/subtract objects until you end up with the desired result. If some of these vectors are lines (open paths) you have to expand them (menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke) to turn them into shapes and only then perform the boolean operations with other shapes.

I've moved this thread to the Questions section.

thank you!

i was pretty sure that the possibility of merging layers in AD was explained somewhere (but where was that...) 

but maybe is was about AP, when you are googling for affinity answers there is often no mention of AD or AP; 

yes, i discovered the boolean operations in AD and i was especially interested in the intersection of 2 layers (that consisted of a number of vector rectangles etc.) but i found out that the intersection operation only worked on single overlapping objects;

i keep discovering :-)

2 minutes ago, cezi said:

i found out that the intersection operation only worked on single overlapping objects

The ‘Intersect’ command should work on multiple objects (but they have to be overlapping, of course). The ‘Add’ command will always work on multiple vector objects, regardless of whether or not they overlap.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

34 minutes ago, cezi said:

it seems possible to react to questions while they are not yet approved,

Yes, anyone can comment on any thread, You don't have to be a moderator. Feel free to do so yourself.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 10 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 3:05 AM, MEB said:

To merge layers in Affinity Designer group them, then right-click on the group in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. The group will be flattened into a single layer (and also rasterised which i believe you don't want to).

I do a lot of pixel persona painting in Designer and it would be nice to consolidate the above steps into a single "merge into raster layer" command. Pretty please! :-)