ronnyb

Keyboard control not functioning properly

When I pull up the Grid and Snapping Axis Manager, the Show Grid checkbox is off but highlighted with a blue rectangle. If I then press the Space Bar to enable it (as is standard in macOS) nothing happens. If the checkbox is highlighted one should be able to 1) use the Tab key to move to the next control and 2) use the Space Bar to enable or disable the highlighted control. Currently, pressing the Tab key shows/hides the UI, which should not happen since the Grid and Snapping Axis Manager is the currently active panel. What happens is that focus changes from Grid and Snapping Axis Manager main art-board window. Additionally, if I press the keyboard shortcut to pull up the Grid and Snapping Axis Manager that works fine, but if I press it again to hide it, nothing happens. It would be nice if the same keyboard shortcut used to pull up the panels was used to close it if it's already open, like a toggle.

Thanks for all you do.

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Hey ronnyb,

I think the issue is the fact that Tab and Space are reserved for Toggle UI and Pan respectively and that we do not use modal dialogs for a lot of the UI. If it was modal, I'd absolutely expect this to work. 

On 02/04/2018 at 3:28 PM, ronnyb said:

It would be nice if the same keyboard shortcut used to pull up the panels was used to close it if it's already open, like a toggle.

+1

I keep expecting the keyboard shortcut for the Character panel to act as a toggle, but it doesn’t.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I keep expecting the keyboard shortcut for the Character panel to act as a toggle, but it doesn’t.

Isn't there a toggle setting in Preferences that will fix that for you? I think I saw that suggested in another thread.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Isn't there a toggle setting in Preferences that will fix that for you? I think I saw that suggested in another thread.

Thanks for the hint, Walt! I’ll check later unless someone else gets there first, but if there is such a setting it’s far from obvious why a toggle action isn’t the default.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)