You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo License Mac and Windows

• Staff

Hi Err0r,

Each Operating System has its own licence for Affinity, which is not transferable.  Also Apple don't share personal customer information with us, so we have no record of you personally buying it.  As it stands, the licence isn't transferable between different operating systems and there isn't anything we can do about that, sorry.

3 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Each Operating System has its own licence for Affinity, which is not transferable.  Also Apple don't share personal customer information with us, so we have no record of you personally buying it.  As it stands, the licence isn't transferable between different operating systems and there isn't anything we can do about that, sorry.

When you start selling the Mac version in the Affinity Store it would clearly be possible to identify whether a customer has bought the other version, but given the costs associated with developing different versions of the software for different platforms I can't see Serif rushing to offer multi-platform licences at the same price as single-platform licences.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
1 minute ago, Alfred said:

When you start selling the Mac version in the Affinity Store it would clearly be possible to identify whether a customer has bought the other version

Very true but we haven't started selling the Mac version yet and my crystal ball is a bit foggy at the moment, so we will have to wait and see what happens :) 

i could show u the bill with all the order numerbs, document numbers and so on...

do u realey want everybody to spend another 60$ for the same software?! kind of generating money, but f**king up ur customers :(

Would you really like being forced to spend another $60 to buy a dual-platform licence, even if you only ever used a single platform? I wouldn't!

Alfred spacer.png

Although the functionality is broadly the same on different platforms and the files are interchangeable, not only between the apps in the suite but also across the supported operating systems, the software isn't exactly the same (otherwise you would be able to download and run a *.exe installer file on your Mac or a *.dmg file on your Windows PC, but you can't).

Alfred spacer.png

yeah! xD

and the software version 1.2.3.4.554.454434433 isnt the same as 1.2.3.4.554.454434434 and thats why i should buy another license... thats ur way of argumentation.

serif ltd should get the license management straight or at least make sure that if someone is buying an license, that this license is only for one platform.

6 hours ago, Err0r said:

why should someone forced to spend another 60 bucks for the same software?

Because as Alfred explained, it is not in any meaningful sense the same software. The Mac & Windows versions share the same basic low level "core" code, but everything else has to be written specifically to support the platform it runs on. For example, a Mac Unix executable file won't run on Windows nor will a Windows executable file run on the Mac OS. Not only must each executable file be written specifically for each OS, so must the dynamic libraries & most of the other supporting file types. Macs & Windows do not even use the same I/O, file access, or security models.

5 hours ago, Err0r said:

serif ltd should get the license management straight or at least make sure that if someone is buying an license, that this license is only for one platform.

That is exactly what they have done.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have to admit that I would have loved to see a combo-license as well. I fully understand the reasoning right now - the macOS version is a Mac App Store exclusive and that's the end of that. However, once Serif starts selling the application through their website like they do with the Windows version a license combining both version for, say, 1,5x-1.8x the price of two separate licenses would be amazing.

I know for sure I would have opted for this particular license model if I had the choice. Gives me the freedom to switch platforms whenever I deem so necessary without losing access to my software.

I think Affinity should give us all some more flexibility.

It really is frustrating to buy two licenses for the same product. In today's market it looks rather strange and out of place. I do understand that each platform requires some additional programming and that codes differ. But you may guess that the main costs of a license are in product design, concepts, solutions and algorithms. Let the license cost additional $10-20 but give us cross-platform flexibility.

And I would greatly favor subscription models and pack discounts as well. Affinity sells those to corporate and educational users and I tell you they are VERY attractive.

P.S. For now I can see the only solution for those who need Affinity products (Designer and Photo both) for both platforms: buy Windows versions and use them with Parallels on MacOS. Savings would be around 50% if my calculations are correct.

3 hours ago, verton said:

I think Affinity should give us all some more flexibility.

It really is frustrating to buy two licenses for the same product. In today's market it looks rather strange and out of place. I do understand that each platform requires some additional programming and that codes differ. But you may guess that the main costs of a license are in product design, concepts, solutions and algorithms. Let the license cost additional $10-20 but give us cross-platform flexibility.

And I would greatly favor subscription models and pack discounts as well. Affinity sells those to corporate and educational users and I tell you they are VERY attractive.

P.S. For now I can see the only solution for those who need Affinity products (Designer and Photo both) for both platforms: buy Windows versions and use them with Parallels on MacOS. Savings would be around 50% if my calculations are correct.

The problem is, that is a very old fashioned and inflexible concept. Today's market is global and small companies need marketing partners. Those partners will want to impose their own terms.

These days many items, such as software and especially music are sold by marketing companies. The days of music stores have gone, as have software shops.

With Affinity, Apple are the suppliers for Mac Store products, Microsoft are the suppliers on Windows Store products. Only if you buy from Serif are you dealing with Serif. That allows Serif to market to/reach a much larger market. This is the same if you buy music from Apple, Sony whatever. You are not dealing directly with the music studio.

Does anyone seriously think that Apple and Microsoft could work out some sort of licensing deal together that would be favourable to Serif? Would you want one mega huge global company that controlled the whole industry? I certainly wouldn't.

Serif stuff is incredibly good value to start with and the licensing is very generous. Just how cheap does it need to be? I doubt many people have both Macs and PCs (I have) but am not bothered by buying both licenses. It is still cheap compared to Photoshop and I can use it on as many computers as I own, per platform. I have both Cyberlink and Movavi video software that only allows installation one computer, so I would need to buy three copies. Serif allows me to install on all three PCs (more if I had them).

Losing thousands of sales by the Apple Store to please a handful of people who own both Macs and PCs (and want it for nothing ;)) is hardly good business strategy.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

39 minutes ago, toltec said:

Does anyone seriously think that Apple and Microsoft could work out some sort of licensing deal together that would be favourable to Serif?

Some do, just like some believe unicorns are real. ;)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

some believe unicorns are real

Next thing we know, you'll be telling us that there's no gold at the end of the rainbow!

unicornify-pictures_avatar_7daf6c79d4802916d83f6266e24850af.jpg.bb2c60feab01ac2edb6dd95f9b40b167.jpg

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Next thing we know, you'll be telling us that there's no gold at the end of the rainbow!

Ever try to find the end of a rainbow?  stirthepot.gif

Affinity Photo 

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think you might find yourself going round in circles! ;)

Here's another unicorn, especially for you: http://punster.info/php/gravatar.php?q=R C-R&u=unicorn

More info here: https://unicornify.pictures

Alfred spacer.png

49 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Apparently, this chap knows where to find it. To be sure.

lep.jpg.46f5fa64b20065b685dce91563c0b89f.jpg

He works for Unicorn Tours.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

35 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think you might find yourself going round in circles! ;)

Much like the several topics that keep rehashing why there is not an inexpensive multi-platform license for the Affinity apps, even though the staff have said several times that the pricing model takes into account the considerably different development costs for the different platforms, & if it did not the price for everyone would be considerably higher?  devil2.gif

Affinity Photo 

On 08.04.2018 at 1:59 PM, toltec said:

The problem is, that is a very old fashioned and inflexible concept. Today's market is global and small companies need marketing partners. Those partners will want to impose their own terms.

These days many items, such as software and especially music are sold by marketing companies. The days of music stores have gone, as have software shops.

With Affinity, Apple are the suppliers for Mac Store products, Microsoft are the suppliers on Windows Store products. Only if you buy from Serif are you dealing with Serif. That allows Serif to market to/reach a much larger market. This is the same if you buy music from Apple, Sony whatever. You are not dealing directly with the music studio.

Does anyone seriously think that Apple and Microsoft could work out some sort of licensing deal together that would be favourable to Serif? Would you want one mega huge global company that controlled the whole industry? I certainly wouldn't.

Serif stuff is incredibly good value to start with and the licensing is very generous. Just how cheap does it need to be? I doubt many people have both Macs and PCs (I have) but am not bothered by buying both licenses. It is still cheap compared to Photoshop and I can use it on as many computers as I own, per platform. I have both Cyberlink and Movavi video software that only allows installation one computer, so I would need to buy three copies. Serif allows me to install on all three PCs (more if I had them).

Losing thousands of sales by the Apple Store to please a handful of people who own both Macs and PCs (and want it for nothing ;)) is hardly good business strategy.

I do not tell that Serif licenses are expensive but that is exactly why many of us switch from Adobe. We are all looking for approapriate alternatives. We have found Serif and are happy with a chance to have a choice. And in my country price tags for Affinity Apps (both platforms) are 30% ($15) higher than in the US.

By the way I've found Affinity through search, not on Apple Store. And bought directly from Affinity Store. Looks like Microsoft impose no restrictions to sell Affinity apps for Windows only through MS Store. 

We may only guess what terms Serif may have with Apple but Apple Store purchase may could well be supplied with an option to download Windows version through your Affinity account.

We do not know what revenue surplus does it generate for Serif to stick to Apple terms (looks not sufficient enough since we still do not have Publisher) but may be other marketing channels will bring better results while retaining cross-platform flexibility.

23 minutes ago, verton said:

We may only guess what terms Serif may have with Apple but Apple Store purchase may could well be supplied with an option to download Windows version through your Affinity account.

As has been explained many times in many topics about this, Apple does not share individually identifiable purchaser info with any vendor selling their apps through the Mac App Store ("MAS"). This is done for security & privacy reasons (because all MAS purchases are tied to a user Apple ID). So Serif has no way of knowing who has purchased the MAS Mac version of an Affinity app & thus who would be entitled to download a Windows version.

31 minutes ago, verton said:

We do not know what revenue surplus does it generate for Serif to stick to Apple terms (looks not sufficient enough since we still do not have Publisher) but may be other marketing channels will bring better results while retaining cross-platform flexibility.

Actually, both Affinity apps regularly are listed among the top paid apps in the MAS stores of many different countries. I do not know where you are looking but it isn't at the available information.

Affinity Photo 

Ok here is the deal. Affinity products are top quality. No one here is denying that. The fact that you have a product that rivals Photoshop in quality at such a low cost is an impressive feat to say the least.

HOWEVER, with this being said, anyone saying that Serif will continue on a per OS license in the future is not looking forward and thinking in business terms.

Right now, with MAS on the mac, it makes sense to have that arrangement. It makes sense because compared to Adobe, Serif is not very well known. But because of the MAS, it is starting to make huge waves. I have three front-end dev friends that have switched from Adobe to Serif in the last year... Sale are probably very good as R C-R mentioned earlier, it is often in the top paid apps on there. So for now, it makes sense to be on the MAS.

When and if (I highly doubt it won't happen) Serif becomes larger and brings in more revenue, their marketing and financial teams will look at ALL business options available to them. Let me use JetBrains for example. The company started more than a decade ago and wasn't the developpment environment juggernaut that it is today. They started slowly and built from there. At first, they had a buy once and update for a year model. Now ... that they have the choice and freedom to do so, they are on a monthly/yearly licensing deal with permanent licenses being awarded once you paid for a full cycle (12 months). So business models change ... all the time... 

Another example that everyone here know very well... Adobe! They were charging very steep prices for Photoshop a few years ago. Now, they have very affordable monthly prices (compared to one 1000$ ticket price...). Even they changed a model they had for 20+ years.

Another example but on the distribution platform this time. Panic sold Transmit on the MAS only at some point. They left the platform for multiple reasons. The main one, if I remember correctly, was that it took forever to push updates and have them approved and then available to customers. They felt that was a good move for their customers so they changed.

My LOOONNNGGG point being that right now, as many of you, I feel that Serif's the business model is not perfect. For me as a customer. But for them as a business, it makes sense at the moment. It's what makes senses for the business at the stage it is in right now. In 5 years from now, we could VERY WELL see a subscription based model where you pay $9.99 a month and have Affinity Photo on Win and macOS. $19,99 and you have Designer AND Photo on both platforms. Right now that's not their plan.