You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does Designer delete objects when exporting?

Hi, 
so I´m having quite a trouble with this file. I´ve made a lion Logo and everytime I put a gradient on it or I put layers (color edits) on it, it screws up export.
Whether it´s that the paths are transformed into images, or it doesnt export with the changes or in case of a gradient it only exports parts of the object.
any Idea why?
In this example Designer only exports the head.

Original Löwe.afdesign

test.eps

Hi, MagicMike912,

I'm not getting any problems exporting the lion either as .png or .eps. The whole thing exports fine, w. the gradient fading away across the parts. If I change the gradient color, and make the eye and ear shape different, everything still exports OK.

I don't see anything wrong w. how the file is made, or how it is exporting

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I get the same head-only export as the test.eps export. I have no idea why but only the bottom group in the Affinity file is present if I open the exported eps file in Affinity Designer. For example, I tried moving the Kopf group to the top & that resulted in only the Beine group showing up in AD. I don't have any other app that opens eps files as vectors, but Apple's Preview app shows all parts of the lion, as does the Quick Look, Get Info window, & all other parts of the macOS that shows rendered versions of eps files.

I also tried upgrouping all the groups, putting everything in a single group layer, & applying just one gradient fill to the group, but that changed nothing.

My gut feeling is there is something wrong with either how AD exports or imports eps files (or at least this one) that is causing this weird behavior. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Stranger still. Attached, wht I get when opening the .eps test file, using the Mac default Preview app.

LionDownload.thumb.jpg.78622b584356944e38ffd0aff875aaee.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

6 hours ago, dutchshader said:

i get the same thing, only the head, but if i give the group in the afdesign file a stroke and export to eps, than the eps opens ok.

There is definitely something weird going on with this. For example, try giving just the legs group or the two curves in that group a stroke, or just the tail group. This is what I get:

5ac28f8d0d7fd_stroked2ways.png.4cd7170a7e4cdccc2dc5432ec1b24753.png

The stroked legs example is particularly weird because it preserves the bottom curve of the arm group but not its other curves.

I assume this is caused by a bug in the Affinity Designer eps import code, one that has something to do with importing eps files with groups & curves with multiple 'stacked' gradient fills, because if I change all the gradient fills to a solid color & export to Original Löwe no gradients.eps, the import into AD preserves each curve (but without grouping anything), as in Original Löwe no gradients.afdesign.

I don't think it has anything to do with the eps export code since Preview.app, Finder previews, & such display all the gradient filled curves of the exported eps files regardless of how the gradients are stacked.

It might be a good idea to post this issue to one of the bugs forums to make sure the staff sees it, but apparently it is a 'core' bug that is in both the Mac & Windows versions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7