You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grouping and Ungrouping Question To Edit Colors

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to UNGROUP, or maybe UNLOCK an image.  I have the image below saved in every format, but cannot seem to ungroup or unlock it, to edit the colors.  See image below.  Thank you for your assistance!

color.png

What you do not say is what you saved it from. Where did the original image come from? PNG andd JPG are raster (bitmap) formats and will have a single layer. PDF and ESP can include 'layers' or objects which migh be equivalent to layers. These might  maintain groupable or ungroupable colours. However if the original image you had was a bitmap/pixel/raster image, then it might have been a single layer.

In a Photo file, you can have a single layer on which you can have several colours. Or, you could also have (say) three layers, one for the popcorn, one for the circle and the kitchen text and one for the Myra's text. If you export this as jpg or png, then the layers and the colours will be merged. If you export to png, they should be preserved.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

13 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

What you do not say is what you saved it from. Where did the original image come from? PNG andd JPG are raster (bitmap) formats and will have a single layer. PDF and ESP can include 'layers' or objects which migh be equivalent to layers. These might  maintain groupable or ungroupable colours. However if the original image you had was a bitmap/pixel/raster image, then it might have been a single layer.

In a Photo file, you can have a single layer on which you can have several colours. Or, you could also have (say) three layers, one for the popcorn, one for the circle and the kitchen text and one for the Myra's text. If you export this as jpg or png, then the layers and the colours will be merged. If you export to png, they should be preserved.

John

13 hours ago, popncorn said:

image/logo started in Arobat Illustrator.

It depends on whether it was created and stored as vectors/layers, or whether it was rasterized before saving/exporting.

Insert here ai original.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

13 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

The samd way as in this topic

dutchshader I have never been able to accomplish.  When I see the image downloaded into AD, I see it as EMBEDDED.  I just don't know how you did that.    I screen shot below so you could see what I'm seeing.   

5ac21ea5c518f_ScreenShot2018-04-02at8_04_48AM.thumb.png.f1f20207828e8a7edc1ddab02ccc780a.png

2 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

this is what you should get

color.afdesign

Okay, but I don't understand why I only see embedded images in all of the formats.  PNG, Vector, PDF, ESP, etc.  How did you get this done?  Well maybe I should just shut-up and run with it, but I want to understand.  Thank you!  I don't mean to drive you crazy.  

1 minute ago, popncorn said:

Okay, but I don't understand why I only see embedded images in all of the formats.  PNG, Vector, PDF, ESP, etc.  How did you get this done?  Well maybe I should just shut-up and run with it, but I want to understand.  Thank you!  I don't mean to drive you crazy.  

You can best believe I going to hold on to this one for dear life!  Thank you!

1 minute ago, dutchshader said:

I just opend the pdf you poster earlier an saved as disigner file

1 minute ago, popncorn said:

You can best believe I going to hold on to this one for dear life!  Thank you!

So I can save this in a PDF format and can resize larger and not lose clarity?  Thanks again!

most parts of the logo can be resized without loss of quality, but there are some rasterized objects in the logo.

in the layers panel they are called image, they will become pixelated when you enlarge the file.

you can see this when you zoom in to one of the images.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

5 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

most parts of the logo can be resized without loss of quality, but there are some rasterized objects in the logo.

in the layers panel they are called image, they will become pixelated when you enlarge the file.

you can see this when you zoom in to one of the images.

I'm only going to change the colors on the name, the circle and the word KITCHEN.  After I change the colors, can I save in all formats?   And then go back and change the colors again if I need to?

yes you can do that as much as you want, but in affinity you must export the file to a format you want.

if you use save or save as i will be a afdesign file.

export.png.51dca1e0db9909cf6b5bcde3c79e283e.png

and here is another file where i replaced some images fo vector files. hope you can work it out from here.

color2.afdesign

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

7 hours ago, dutchshader said:

yes you can do that as much as you want, but in affinity you must export the file to a format you want.

if you use save or save as i will be a afdesign file.

export.png.51dca1e0db9909cf6b5bcde3c79e283e.png

and here is another file where i replaced some images fo vector files. hope you can work it out from here.

color2.afdesign

Thank you dutchshader!  Sorry for the late response, I'm at work now.  I shall keep up with my images!  I don't always understand what I'm reading and a more detailed explanation is very helpful!  Thanks again!