You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone,

Because I cannot move the rulers position to any place inside the drawing, I created my own ruler.

The ruler consist of a dark grey background with 10 mm divisions (the main division) in aquablue. Then the 2 mm divisions are orange and a little bit longer than the 1 mm divisions which are white. Then I grouped the 10mm divisions with each other, then the 2 mm divisions with each other and lastly the 1 mm divisions with each other. Then in the end I grouped the background rectangle with the 3 other groups. The subgroups are locked. Now I have to select the main mm group in the layers panel to select the ruler and drag it around. This works as expected.

Inside this drawing I can choose other measurements and the ruler still keeps correct. The ruler is designed for print documents. However when I change the document to "web", it still shows the correct distance.

Now I created another new document as Web with pixels and copy the ruler to that document. Now the ruler is no longer correct.

I have two questions :

1. Do you know the reason why copying to another document with different measurements, the ruler is no longer showing the correct measurements while changing in the ruler document the measurement is still correct?

2. How can I create a template from this document, so I can have new documents based on the ruler original? When this is not possible, do you know a method how to make the mm ruler available standard to each document?

I included the Affinity Designer document together with this post. If it is usefull to you, you can use it as much as you like. In case you have any suggestions, I will be very happy to hear them.

Your help will be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Have a nice day!

Chris

mm_ruler.afdesign

Hi again,

Just a few moments ago, I also noticed there is no "snapping" to the individual measurements (lines) on the ruler. Whatever I do, even ungrouping them, make no difference with or without locking.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Thank you again.

Chris

When you created the Print document you probably ended up with a dpi setting of 300. Changing the document to Web (in Designer) would not have changed that.

Your ruler also ended up as 300 dpi.

When you created the Web document you probably ended up with a dpi setting of 72. Trying to move your ruler into that new document, with the dpi mismatch, would cause resizing and distortion of the ruler, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt,

Thank you for your reply and your information.

You are correct, the difference in dpi is the cause that the ruler no longer works on any resolution than 300 dpi. I only use two resolutions, 96 for web and 300 for print. So I have to make another ruler for  the 96 dpi which I need to make in pixels measurements.

A friend of mine suggested to use  a macro for the rulers. However, this seems not available yet for Affinity Designer.

Wish you a very good day.

Chris