You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apply Image ala PS

Hey, guys. I’ve recently become aware of an alternative method for frequency separation. While I’ve been fine with the automated method within AP, in order to utilize the newer method, we’d need apply image to work as it does in PS. We specifically need to be able to select other layers, the blending mode, the scale and offset. If there are workarounds for all of this, please educate me. If not, how difficult would this be to implement in next version?

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

On 3/31/2018 at 11:23 PM, wgphoto said:

Hey, guys. I’ve recently become aware of an alternative method for frequency separation. While I’ve been fine with the automated method within AP, in order to utilize the newer method, we’d need apply image to work as it does in PS. We specifically need to be able to select other layers, the blending mode, the scale and offset. If there are workarounds for all of this, please educate me. If not, how difficult would this be to implement in next version?

I second this request, with some additional suggestions. In order to quickly customize the frequency separation process, adding more options to the FS filter itself would be great. For example, being able to choose a different blur type besides Gaussian blur as the basis of the FS. But for full FS customization, as well as performing many other non-FS effects, the Apply Image functionality needs several things added:

1. Most importantly, it needs the ability to apply one layer to another layer (or layers) within the same file, without having to use the workaround of exporting the layer to be applied as a separate file. As it is, within the same file you can only apply a layer to itself, which is very limited in its utility. Perhaps changing the option selectors to “Source Layer” and “Destination/Modified Layer” with options for each such as layer above, current layer, layer below, or something like that. You could also retain the “Image” (outside file) option for the Source Layer selector. So, for example, you could select the current layer as the source layer and apply it to (and modify) the layer immediately below, using equations to modify the individual channels. Even better than that would be a way to perform algebraic combinations of layers (as a whole or by individual channels) with a new layer as the output. This would also be non-destructive to the original layers and wouldn’t necessitate copying the destination layer before applying another layer to it. For example, the 8-bit color depth frequency separation formulas for each of the R, G, and B channels would be something like: 0.5*Layer1(“Original”) - 0.5*Layer2(“GaussianBlur/LowFreq”) + 0.5 = NewLayer(“High Freq”). In theory, it wouldn’t have to be limited to combining just 2 layers. You could almost call that a whole new feature (call it “Layer Algebra” or something) which could do what Apply Image can but a lot more as well. 

2. It needs to be made more obvious what layer is being applied to what other layer, and what layer is modified in the process. My suggestions above would be a couple of ways of addressing this.

3. It needs to be much better documented. As an example, I still can’t figure out how to incorporate the Parameter A, B, and C options into the equations and haven’t seen any documentation on it at all. If you’re supposed to be able to put those parameters into the equations and then use the corresponding sliders to see the effect of changing them “live” that would undoubtedly be useful. Maybe this could be expanded as well, to include more than 3 Parameter sliders, and to allow arbitrary end range numbers besides the default range of 0 to 1 (though you could probably achieve this in the equation itself, albeit with a bit more difficulty).

4. An “Invert Layer” check box like PS has would be nice, though again you could achieve this as part of the equations or, more clunkily, by inverting layers before applying them.

Anyway, those have been my ongoing thoughts on the topic. It just took seeing Wgphoto’s post to motivate me to take the time to put it all down.

Generally the Serif team don't respond to feature requests, in my experience. They read them, but they do not indicate whether they are accepting any requests.

If requests are accepted for version 1 they should eventually appear in one of the "feature roadmap" posts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 4/4/2018 at 0:26 PM, walt.farrell said:

Generally the Serif team don't respond to feature requests, in my experience. They read them, but they do not indicate whether they are accepting any requests.

If requests are accepted for version 1 they should eventually appear in one of the "feature roadmap" posts.

I know you're right, but this one's really important!...to me lol. I hope we don't have to wait until WWDC for updates. 

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 7:34 AM, MartinsRibeiro said:

Can you use apply image on iPad?

Yes, and from what I can see, most of the features requested in the OP already seem to be there, unless there are aspects of the request that I'm not following.  It looks like the iPad version has mostly the same functionality as the same feature in the desktop version.

• 2 months later...

Still waiting until WWDC , almost an year past , I also want to do some subtraction of the two layers like the Photoshop Apply Image , 

i wanna use the Offset and Scale the source layer there are much more options in Photoshop , and now I am wandering how to do it in Affinity Photo.