You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pdf import => white lines between objects

He everybody!

I imported a pdf file that was created in Adobe InDesign. This pdf was intended for professional printing purposes.

Unfortunately InDesign separated most of the objects to small areas, so instead of some objects there are hundreds of areas next to each other.

Between adjacent areas there are white lines visible. These white lines represent the zero-pixel-boarders of the objects and are always visible, no matter which zoom setting (10% or 100000%) 

In Acrobat reader the lines can (visually) be reduce be disabling anti-aliasing in preferences. 

Is there any option to reduce those lines, at least for new image exports (png / jpg) that are made out of AD? 

Thanks for your help, H-Nes

post-7214-0-50206000-1424428845_thumb.jpg

No we've been lucky that way, but the White lines only show up when the whole document is in view in illustrator. As you can see from the images above the White lines don't show when zoomed in. I can't test if it's the same in Affinity I won't be back in work till Monday. I'll let you know on Monday.

We print them out on a Vutek GS2000 and an Ocè 360 & 550.

Adrian

Thanks for your help Adrian.

Even that the file was initially created for printing, I will not print it, but I use it in Apple Motion 5 in order to create a movie (with Ken burns Zoom-Ins ect...) with it. 

have a nice weekend!

Hannes 

Thanks Adrian.

But that´s strange! I was testing a lot during the weekend, but could not find any option to get any file out of AD without those lines.... (neither as pdf nor as image file)

Maybe you could send me the indesign file that looks OK on your AD & AP that I can test them on my installation? If your file is confidential I could also send you mine....

Hannes

edit: maybe there is a setting in AD preferences for this?

Thanks, I sent you a PM with my file.

I know about the background of the lines, but unfortunately I have to work with the pdf files "as they are".

The files are generated by the ad agencies of my customers, and those agencies are not willing to change their workflow (InDesign export settings) for me. The pdf files are initially generated for printing purposes, and the printing company needs the pdf with the current export-settings (in terms of transparencies,.....).  -_-

background:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/thin-white-dark-lines-stitching.html

The lines are definitly version depending. Many agencies and printing companies refer to the default standarf of Acrobat 4 (PDF version 1.3). The effect is that in this version all transparencies, shadows, ... will be converted into bitmaps with a default and the splitting occurs.

If you use the Acrobat 5 settings (PDF version 1.4 and obove) the transparencies will be true transparencies, shadows and so on. If an older RIP ist used (Postscript based) you must use the 1.3 setting which is preffered by many companies for avoiding errors. If the company/agency uses a newer interpreter like the APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine)  you can use the newer format. There will be no lines in the true modern PDF format.

As I am right AD uses the Aplle Quartz Engine for creating PDF files. I have Yosemite installed and here the PDF version is 1.4 (Acrobat 5).

Maybe this is helpfull for understanding. If you are unsure ask the agency/company if they are able to use the newer version, it is very usefull :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

So do you use the PDFs in motion 5 or do you use images?

I have converted your file to a TIFF with no lines at 300 dpi sent you a PM with a link.

If you need it bigger or another file type let me know

I also imported in into Affinity Photo but the White lines showed up so I did it in Photoshop instead.

Adrian

Adrian, I checked your PS-exported tif (of my file) and it´s great! Thank you very much for your help! I can use it in my current project.

Normally I use the pdf files directly in apple motion 5, but since I had the problem with the white line on the current file, I tried to find a solution based on a workaround with exported images out of AD/AP.

Obviously AD/AP is not able to export a pdf that was created with InDesign (as V 1.3) as a imagefile (tiff) without those line, but your PS version is able to do this. So this seems to be a problem of AD/AP.

Maybe a Affinity-guy could check this problem as well in order to find a solution for this problem? I´m shure there will be others with this problem as well.

Again, thanks a lot Adrian for your phantastic support!!

Hannes