You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to get rid of exposure and gamma panel bottom center of screen?

• Staff

Hi Dampsquid and Welcome to the Forums,

I've just done a HDR Merge and can't see the Panel you are referring to, everything is stacked neatly on the side for me.  Any chance you can post a screenshot as that will help ID the problem :)

• Staff

Hi dampsquid,

My mistake, i hadn't spotted this was in the iPad questions.  Just carried out a HDR Merge on my iPad and i've got the same opinions.  Really not sure why they are there.  I'll have to check with the Dev team as to why they are there.  When you do a HDR Merge on the Desktop version, those options don't appear.

• Staff

What you're seeing is the 32-bit preview panel (this is accessible on Desktop through View>Studio). This is used to preview different tonal ranges of the document and is important for a number of use cases, but for typical HDR merging where you'll be tone mapping straight after it's arguably less useful.

In the iPad version, this panel is intrinsically linked to the Hand Tool as its context toolbar in 32-bit: it's a design decision, since adding another studio on the right hand bar just for a couple of esoteric options isn't a great use of valuable screen space :) The issue is that most tools will have a context toolbar, so switching to another tool won't solve this.

If you intend to tone map the HDR image, you should find that it doesn't appear in the Tone Mapping Persona. Once you've tone mapped the image, you could always convert it to 16-bit (unless you really need it to remain in 32-bit) and the 32-bit preview toolbar will disappear.

The only other solution I can suggest right now is to select the Move Tool (directly underneath the Hand Tool) and then tap off somewhere on the canvas outside of the image to deselect it. Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials