You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where in that quote, @firstdefence, does it say that it's using raw files?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Where in that quote, @firstdefence, does it say that it's using raw files?

If you read the post and look at the images, within the stack he's using ARW files which are RAW files, I could be wrong but if I am just resize after Raw development and then stack, but as I read it, it makes no mention of conversion first, I'll see if the OP of that post will clarify that step.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

If you read the post and look at the images, within the stack he's using ARW files which are RAW files, I could be wrong but if I am just resize after Raw development and then stack, but as I read it, it makes no mention of conversion first, I'll see if the OP of that post will clarify that step.

I'm glad you are also hungry to figure out how to get the most out of your images.

4 minutes ago, owenr said:

You cannot resize a raw file. You can only resize an image that has been developed from a raw file.

The super res method works with the images that are developed from the raw files.

so

1. import raw files via stack mode

2. go to document - flatten and then

3. develop persona, make adjustments - develop

4. resize image to get the effect?

15 minutes ago, owenr said:

No. Batch raw development in AP is crap, to put it simply.

If you are using AP to develop your raw files, do them one at a time, but using the same settings for all, and save each to a lossless image format such as PNG or TIFF.

Do File > New Stack, make sure the alignment options are disabled, and select all your image files.

You'll have a new AP document containing a stack of images.

Resize the document by 200% (meaning double both the width and height) with nearest neighbour resampling.

Continue with the process that's described for Photoshop.

Could you list the remaining points as well? I feel the alignment is also what confuses me

2 hours ago, owenr said:

The stack contains raw files, but it's the image developed from each raw that is used in the stack calculations

The stack does not contain raw files. It contains the developed images from the raw files, which retain the original raw file name. If you develop any raw file, you can see this in the name tab.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

26 minutes ago, dronecrasher said:

So I followed the steps, resized the image and I am about to export into PNG but it asks me again for some resampling options (incl. nearest neighbor).

What should I select?

Select one of the Lanczos options. These are better for enlarging.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

16 minutes ago, owenr said:

Lanczos, as suggested by John, is likely to be best

Note that there are two kinds of Lanczos resampling. Lanczos non-separable tends to give a sharper result than Lanczos separable (sometimes too sharp!) and it takes longer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, owenr said:

I never use the non-seperable.

Me too neither, for the reason stated in my previous post!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Affinity's Develop Persona can't scale a RAW file so I used Rawtherapee instead.

Much like what @John Rostron said, I am not sure if it is really possible to 'scale' a RAW file without first developing it, or what that means if it is possible. Basically, RAW camera files are just the minimally processed output from the camera's sensor, so until they are developed there is no image (as such) to scale, right?

I poked around on the web a bit for info about how Rawtherapee (or Photoshop) might do this but I did not find anything definitive to suggest upscaling is somehow done prior to development. (That does not mean it does not exist, only that I could not find it if it does.)

So assuming the upscaling is actually done post-development, it should be possible (if tedious) to do this using Affinity Photo, developing each shot & then upscaling it by 200% before combining them. As long as the intermediate developed files are stored in a lossless format & the development parameters are the same for each of them, I would expect this technique to work as well in Affinity Photo as in Photoshop ... I think. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Select one of the Lanczos options. These are better for enlarging.

I could have this totally wrong but as I understand, as mentioned in the 'practical guide to super resolution' article, in the initial enlargement step "a simple nearest neighbor algorithm" is specified because the hard edged, unsoftened results that produces is essential for the technique to work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7