You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Everyone,

I am still learning everything about photo editing and I am trying to archive this here with Affinity Photo

click here

I've also watched this video (starting at 4min) but its all for LR and PS and since I am a noobie I am kindly asking for simple advice and guidance to create a super resolution picture with my mavic pro (drone) raw images

spd.io appears to be a dead site. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, dronecrasher,

Is this useful to you?

I don't work w. photos, yet. The above seems to be what you want. Do look over the Affinity vids by themselves. Lots of people spend huge amounts of time watching Photoshop , which has its own terminology and methods for doing much the same thing that Affinity doesdescribed by its own words and routines.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

spd.io appears to be a dead site. 

It isn't spd.io, it's sdp.io, which identifies itself as Tony & Chelsea Northrup's link shortener. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

It isn't spd.io, it's sdp.io, which identifies itself as Tony & Chelsea Northrup's link shortener. detective.gif

I have dyslexic keyboard ¬¬

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

About image stacks

Use image stacks for:

• Exposure merging: Merging images of varying exposures.
  • Object Removal: Use a series of images to blend out unwanted subject matter from a specific image in an image set.
  • Noise reduction: Blend together multiple shots of the same subject and average out the noise.
  • Creative effects: Simulate long exposure imagery and combine bright subjects (e.g., fireworks) for a composite effect.

About stack operators

A choice of operators can be applied to your stack depending on what you want to achieve. Median can be used for most blending operations such as object removal, exposure merging (exposure blending) and noise reduction.

Stack operators include:

• Mean—averages pixel content across the stack of images. Good for long exposure simulation and noise reduction.
  • Median—removes pixel content that is not consistent in each image. Suitable for object removal and noise reduction.
  • Outlier—exposes pixel content that differs in each image: great for sequence composites.
  • Maximum—uses the maximum pixel values from each image. Can be used for creative exposure blending where the subject is lighter than the background.
  • Minimum—uses the minimum pixel values from each image. Suitable for exposure blending where the subject is darker than the background.
  • Range—indicates areas that change across the image stack. Good for analysing what has changed between each image.
  • Mid-Range—uses the middle pixel values from each image. Can be used to increase tonal range if used with bracketed exposures.
  • Total—produces the total value of pixels from each image. Usually results in overexposure, but can be used to lighten very underexposed imagery.
  • Standard Deviation—analytical: measures the distribution of information between the images. Useful for object removal as it clearly indicates areas that will be averaged out with a Median operator.
  • Variance—analytical: as Standard Deviation, indicates how pixel values are spread between images. More intense distributions are shown very clearly.
  • Skewness—analytical: highlights edge detail and indicates the intensity of pixel value distribution. Can be used to determine tonal and spatial differences between images.
  • Kurtosis—analytical: detects the peakedness of an image. A brighter result represents low noise levels and a tonal uniformity (most pixels at dominant grey level). Darker results represent greater noise and less tonal uniformity (more pixels further away from dominant grey level).
  • Entropy—analytical: represents the number of bits required to encode information in the stack. Could be used with stacked video frames (within the same scene or shot).
To create a stack:
  1. From the File menu, select New Stack.
  2. From the dialog, click Add to locate and select your images for blending. Click Open to add the images to the stack list.
  3. (Optional) Uncheck Automatically Align Images to manually align images later in the Layerspanel.
  4. Choose a Perspective or Scaling operation from the menu to allow for successful auto-alignment. The former applies a perspective adjustment to each image; the latter repositions and/or sizes the image layer.
  5. Check Live Alignment to allow the above perspective adjustment to be made non-destructively (this may affect performance depending on size and number of images to be stacked).
  6. Click OK.

Your images are blended and presented in a Live Stack Group in the Layers panel. You can manually align layers if auto-alignment isn't 100% accurate.

Once stacked, you may notice 'checkerboard' transparency at the very edge of your stack group. This is an intentional result of auto-alignment and can be either cropped away or, if you're merging the stack image layers together, inpainted out instead.

To change stack operator:
  1. On the Layers panel, click the Stack operator icon on the Live Stack Group. The default operator is Median as indicated by the icon.
  2. From the pop-up menu, select a stack operator suited to the type of photos you are stacking (see above). The icon will change depending on the operator selected.

Once you've applied a stack operator, the image layers in the stack shouldn't require manipulation (of opacity, blend modes, blend ranges, etc.) except for possible re-alignment (if auto-adjustment was not satisfactory). However, depending on image content you may need to apply additional adjustments to the stack or mask some areas for best results.

5ac0a09fdbf1d_ScreenShot2018-04-01at10_00_51.png.1b2d2a9cd8a097c5cc04b650707f8f24.png

5ac0a0a098f7a_ScreenShot2018-04-01at09_51_18.png.b2397f0b26ea6f30bd02f42c51776b5d.png

I'm not a 100% sure this will work but you should be able to click on the stack and apply filters like clarity, unsharp mask Saturation etc

see your image edited below. Just play about and have fun see what you can get.

5ac0e8e5d4153_ScreenShot2018-04-01at10_10_11AM.thumb.png.d8174df135e700a5da361a089349bc66.png.31d77e50306c46f6c3db416cb9398ef0.png

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

I'm not a 100% sure this will work but you should be able to click on the stack and apply filters like clarity, unsharp mask Saturation etc

see your image edited below. Just play about and have fun see what you can get.

5ac0e8e5d4153_ScreenShot2018-04-01at10_10_11AM.thumb.png.d8174df135e700a5da361a089349bc66.png.31d77e50306c46f6c3db416cb9398ef0.png

Thank you so much, I was able to make some adjustments but is the clarity tool there the only one to increase the sharpness?

2 minutes ago, dronecrasher said:

is the clarity tool there the only one to increase the sharpness?

No. As @firstdefence indicated, you can use the unsharp mask filter instead. Essentially this works by performing edge detection and then selectively increasing the contrast along those edges.

Alfred spacer.png

I have to say, doing this in Affinity Photo is a lot easier than doing it in Adobe, minus the Action part of course.

so I uploaded 7 raw images and my try of a stack to archive the "super resolution". since i have no experience in editing you might be able to archive much better results than I do.

Generally asking - do you see a difference?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehqpvhh76lg9ae7/Sandro.zip?dl=0

this guy is archiving with the same drone and PS stacking totally different results see here  name (1 of 1).jpg

@dronecrasher just been tinkering with your dog's, (No animals were harmed in the typo of dng's) I read a bit of the post from that link and there was some good info on resizing before stacking the dng's, this link was a good read too. Affinity can't resize a raw file as far as I can see, so I opened them in Rawtherapee tweaked them and resized them to a 2x scale, that made each file 24.3MB, then I created a stack in Affinity Photo (APh) applied a few filters and ended up with this.

5ac161aeafd9e_MyTake.thumb.jpg.c986d6fb3f7a399a17f8b52060ec82fc.jpg

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

just been tinkering with your dog's

Dog's legs? Dog's bone? Other??

Oh, wait ... did you perhaps mean to type "DNGs"?

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

@dronecrasher just been tinkering with your dog's, I read a bit of the post from that link and there was some good info on resizing before stacking the dng's, this link was a good read too. Affinity can't resize a raw file as far as I can see, so I opened them in Rawtherapee tweaked them and resized them to a 2x scale, that made each file 24.3MB, then I created a stack in Affinity Photo (APh) applied a few filters and ended up with this.

5ac161aeafd9e_MyTake.thumb.jpg.c986d6fb3f7a399a17f8b52060ec82fc.jpg

Thanks for your help

1) Your first posted link https://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/ says while stacking to not auto align the images

2) resizing is possible in Affinity (see picture attached)

3) Your first posted link (petapixel) - Point Nr 3 & 4 - How to I auto sharpen the images then? Where do I find it in Affinity? "Average the layers" is totally confusing. What does he mean and how do I do it?

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 9.49.12 PM.png

5 hours ago, dronecrasher said:

2) resizing is possible in Affinity (see picture attached)

There isn't an option to resize/scale a RAW file while editing that RAW file in Develop Persona in Affinity Photo (APh). In Rawtherapee you can scale the DNG file as part of the editing and still retain the file as a DNG.

The OP on petapixel

5 hours ago, dronecrasher said:

Your first posted link (petapixel) - Point Nr 3 & 4 - How to I auto sharpen the images then? Where do I find it in Affinity? "Average the layers" is totally confusing. What does he mean and how do I do it?

I think what the OP of that post is alluding to is the subtle variations in image position that careful hand-held photography will get you. As part of the process he is saying that the subtle variation of position is what makes the super resolution possible. You will still have to let the stacking process align the images but because of the slight off-set in the images even with aligned images you will get a better variation of pixel.

I think the only way to see this is to take the scene with a tripod at eye level and then do it in the same position hand-held. Stack the images and see if the hand-held is a better effect. If you are taking a specific image you might want to compensate for any cropping you may have to do after stacking a hand-held set, so zoom out a little to allow for cropping.

I might if I have time go and try this myself, although it snowed this morning so it's pretty much just white outside at the moment. 

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

There isn't an option to resize/scale a RAW file while editing that RAW file in Develop Persona in Affinity Photo (APh). In Rawtherapee you can scale the DNG file as part of the editing and still retain the file as a DNG.

The OP on petapixel

I think what the OP of that post is alluding to is the subtle variations in image position that careful hand-held photography will get you. As part of the process he is saying that the subtle variation of position is what makes the super resolution possible. You will still have to let the stacking process align the images but because of the slight off-set in the images even with aligned images you will get a better variation of pixel.

I think the only way to see this is to take the scene with a tripod at eye level and then do it in the same position hand-held. Stack the images and see if the hand-held is a better effect. If you are taking a specific image you might want to compensate for any cropping you may have to do after stacking a hand-held set, so zoom out a little to allow for cropping.

I might if I have time go and try this myself, although it snowed this morning so it's pretty much just white outside at the moment. 

Hey Firstdefence,

thanks again for your detailled response. If you find time today/tomorrow please try it out and let me know!

I will experiment today again and keep you posted as well

BTW : So you are saying I should resize the RAWs instead of the JPEGs to get the result?

17 minutes ago, dronecrasher said:

BTW : So you are saying I should resize the RAWs instead of the JPEGs to get the result?

No, as @firstdefence said, resizing the raw has to develop it first before saving as a .dng, so you are not gaining anything. Providing you save or export in a lossless format (such as .afphoto, .png or .tif) you will preserve all necessary infomation. I would load each raw file, develop each using the same preset for each, apply, resize 200% and then save/export. Then you can load your files into an appropriate stack.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

No, as @firstdefence said, resizing the raw has to develop it first before saving as a .dng, so you are not gaining anything. Providing you save or export in a lossless format (such as .afphoto, .png or .tif) you will preserve all necessary infomation. I would load each raw file, develop each using the same preset for each, apply, resize 200% and then save/export. Then you can load your files into an appropriate stack.

John

Hi John Actually, I do mean resize the Raw file by 200% This is in the original instructions for super resolution, not sure why this would be but people are saying this is a prerequisite for getting a super resolution image.

So the answer is Yes scale the RAW file, this is in the instructions, it's called Upscaling. Photoshop can do this as part of the stacking process

Affinity's Develop Persona can't scale a RAW file so I used Rawtherapee instead.

This is a quote from: https://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/

There’s a specific order of operations in processing that will allow us to combine our stack of photos into a final image with noticeably finer detail. We’ll import our photos into a stack of layers in Photoshop, upsample the photo (usually 200% width/height) with a simple nearest neighbor algorithm, re-align the layers, and then average the layers together.

1. Import all photos as stack of layers
  2. Resize image to 4x resolution (200% width/height)
  3. Auto-align layers
  4. Average layers

1. Import the Images as a Stack of Layers

E3HbjnE

From Photoshop: File>Scripts>Load Files into Stack…
From Lightroom: Select All Photos. Right Click and choose Edit In>Open as Layers in Photoshop…

· Click Browse… to navigate to your photos
· Make sure “Attempt to Automatically Align Source Images” is unchecked (This is essential. If you align first it won’t work.)
· Click OK

2. Resize to 200% Width/Height

ezQb8i8

· Choose Image>Image Size…
· Set Width/Height to 200%
· Use the “Nearest Neighbor” resample algorithm. You can also use “Preserve Details” but I prefer “Nearest Neighbor” as it does not oversharpen
· Click OK

This is an awesome technique and one I shall be using on well chosen subjects, with good contact and plenty of detail.

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Hi John Actually, I do mean resize the Raw file by 200% This is in the original instructions for super resolution, not sure why this would be but people are saying this is a prerequisite for getting a super resolution image.

So the answer is Yes scale the RAW file, this is in the instructions, it's called Upscaling. Photoshop can do this as part of the stacking process

Affinity's Develop Persona can't scale a RAW file so I used Rawtherapee instead

What you say may be true, but I cannot see the logic of it. (Even if it is true, I don't believe it!)  Even  Raw Therapee has to develop the image before scaling it, so 'scale the RAW file' is not what is happening. Unless you can point me to how I can rescale a raw file in Raw Therapee. I cannot find anything on this in the RawPedia.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630