iTux

Downloaded EPS files gets distorted and pixelated

Hi, 

I downloaded an EPS file from Freepik, and when I open the file seems like all vectors got distorted (like pixels) and impossible to edit or work with it.

On illustrator the file opens OK (just to check the problem is not the file)

Could you please advise? 

You can download the same file on this link 

https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/abstract-background-green-tones_1064803.htm#term=green background&page=1&position=2

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.29.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.30.05 PM.png

I didn't download the file. But the construction is probably mesh fills. AD rasterizes mesh fills because there is no corresponding construct in it.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I didn't download the file. But the construction is probably mesh fills. AD rasterizes mesh fills because there is no corresponding construct in it.

-Thanks MikeW, so this means that there is no way to work with these files with AD/AP? 

Seeing as you have Illustrator you can try saving as a pdf and opening it. I haven't tried it, though. It may well bust it up into gradient segments. 

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

iTux,

When you first opened the file, was it always pixelated in green area? Did you happen to double click on it?

I downloaded the file and was able to replicate--Mine is not jagged in the upper green part. BUT Learning like U, I discovered this:

1. Created New document >Place 1865.eps in art space. I set mine to 9000x9000 pixels. Yup. Big. The green part is not pixelated. However...

2. Double click the image (a second window will open called "<Embedded>". The top green part WILL look pixelated. The text portion was also distorted. 

3. In this "embedded" titled version, open the layer (down arrow key) and find and delete the text image block. (click in the bottom text area to find that section). You should now have the lower white space blank.

4. RETURN to your "original" called "UNTITLED" version and it should mimic your "<embedded>" version. But it should be completely unpixelated (since the text image was removed). Don't use the embedded version. 

Save your Untitled version as an .af

Add a new layer if you plan to add other stuff. 

Also of note: I have been told that files can get corrupted upon download. So, you may want to re-download your eps file, if it doesn't behave as I am describing. 

Also, be careful about double clicking. ;) 

Untitled .png

Embedded.png

Find Text Box image.png

On 3/31/2018 at 9:35 AM, Llu said:

iTux,

When you first opened the file, was it always pixelated in green area? Did you happen to double click on it?

I downloaded the file and was able to replicate--Mine is not jagged in the upper green part. BUT Learning like U, I discovered this:

1. Created New document >Place 1865.eps in art space. I set mine to 9000x9000 pixels. Yup. Big. The green part is not pixelated. However...

2. Double click the image (a second window will open called "<Embedded>". The top green part WILL look pixelated. The text portion was also distorted. 

3. In this "embedded" titled version, open the layer (down arrow key) and find and delete the text image block. (click in the bottom text area to find that section). You should now have the lower white space blank.

4. RETURN to your "original" called "UNTITLED" version and it should mimic your "<embedded>" version. But it should be completely unpixelated (since the text image was removed). Don't use the embedded version. 

Save your Untitled version as an .af

Add a new layer if you plan to add other stuff. 

Also of note: I have been told that files can get corrupted upon download. So, you may want to re-download your eps file, if it doesn't behave as I am describing. 

Also, be careful about double clicking. ;) 

Untitled .png

Embedded.png

Find Text Box image.png

Thanks Llu :) 

I was able to replicate your process, it can help as workaround.

Hope Affinity developers can update this so we don't need to struggle with these files 

Happy easter day

Even illustrator CS6 and newer has issues with this eps if one tried to edit it. It's a crappie file in itself. 

Not to say eps stock art files don't need improved in AD. They do. Both opening them and the ability to create them for submission to stock art sites. But I doubt that this one is a good example of one for Serif to spend time on for improving AD.