You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create Layered Text Effect in Affinity Designer?

How can i make this text effect in Designer? I've had some suggestions from an Illustrator user but I don't know how to replicate what they've done. I've tried the Effects-Outer Shadow but can't get this crisp edge or the layers to "blend".

"Glitter test" shows what I was able to do so far just using the Effects-Outer Shadow... help!

29684201_10157338372587571_5430951368004559389_n.jpg

Capture.JPG

That looks like a "Long Shadow" effect which can be done with equations in AP and Power Duplicate in AD (or AP).

If you still cant figure it out, post again as I may have more time later for an example in AD

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm afraid that in Designer, this is the only way around I know of:

• Place your text.
  • Duplicate your text and move it 45° to the upper left side.
  • Draw the rest of the shaow to connect the two texts.
  • Replicate and change colors (in my example below I use Symbols if I have to make adjustments to the shape I drew).

Shadow_1.png

Shadow_2.png

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 7:03 AM, carl123 said:

That looks like a "Long Shadow" effect which can be done with equations in AP and Power Duplicate in AD (or AP).

If you still cant figure it out, post again as I may have more time later for an example in AD

thank you for your reply. any chance you can provide the suggestion for the AD option? I have both AD and AP but am usually working in AD, so prefer solutions there so i dont have to hop back and forth.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:18 AM, Mithferion said:

I'm afraid that in Designer, this is the only way around I know of:

• Place your text.
  • Duplicate your text and move it 45° to the upper left side.
  • Draw the rest of the shaow to connect the two texts.
  • Replicate and change colors (in my example below I use Symbols if I have to make adjustments to the shape I drew).

Shadow_1.png

Shadow_2.png

Best regards!

thank you for such detailed instructions and what must have taken some time to put together the steps and screenshots! I sincerely appreciate it! However, my amateur attempts to follow these steps look... amateur!!! Thank you so very much for trying to help me figure this out... I'll keep trying as I get better with the various drawing tools, and in the meanwhile I'll poke around and see if the AP options are faster, even if that means having to open and close the same file in each program to get them processed! Fingers crossed the AP option is easier... #learningcurve!!

11 hours ago, Ariana M said:

thank you for such detailed instructions and what must have taken some time to put together the steps and screenshots! I sincerely appreciate it! However, my amateur attempts to follow these steps look... amateur!!! Thank you so very much for trying to help me figure this out... I'll keep trying as I get better with the various drawing tools, and in the meanwhile I'll poke around and see if the AP options are faster, even if that means having to open and close the same file in each program to get them processed! Fingers crossed the AP option is easier... #learningcurve!!

Maybe the attached file will serve as an example. Hope this helps you improve with this (I converted the text to curves).

Best regards!

Shadow.afdesign