You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am on Page 258 of the Affinity Photo Workbook and Paragraph 1 states Quote "Above the Background Dither Layer, create a new HSL adjustment by going to the Layer Menu and etc., etc.

I do not see a 'Dither Layer' on the layers on this particular exercise and I do not know what  Dither Layer is anyway.

Can you help explain this Please.

Thanks

I was following the 'project' but didn't end up with a 'Background Dither' layer - must have stuffed up somewhere but what does 'Dither' mean?

Thanks for your reply.

44 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

"Background dither" is the name of a regular pixel layer on which he use the healing brush.

Look at the Layer panel screenshot on page 259.

The word "dither" means indecisive; hesitant; etc...

Not too sure why this word was chosen to describe a layer, but I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for it.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

22 minutes ago, travel bug said:

what does 'Dither' mean?

Try Google.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks dutchshader and Psender for your reply.

I think the best explanation for me (and I am still a bit confused even then) is the one from 'firstdefence'. The only time I remember 'dither' being used frequently was when I lived in England and people used to say 'I'm all in a dither' (being confused). I'm old and still learning....

Hi Affinity Jules,

Yes that is the explanation I had for the word but not understanding its meaning in the photographic editing context. I sort of get a bit of it but still find it difficult to translate into how I would use this in editing on my photos. If I let it percolate in the old brain box for a bit I might get it eventually. At my age I'm expecting to lose some of my brain retention so we'll see how I go.

5 hours ago, travel bug said:

Thanks dutchshader and Psender for your reply.

I think the best explanation for me (and I am still a bit confused even then) is the one from 'firstdefence'. The only time I remember 'dither' being used frequently was when I lived in England and people used to say 'I'm all in a dither' (being confused). I'm old and still learning....

Us up't north, well, Nottingham, say "All of a dither, stop dithering, I'm in a tizz.

@travel bug Apparently there is an instrument from OZ called a ditheridoo :P

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, travel bug said:

i think I need some dithering in my grey matter to fully get this concept

It looks more complicated than it really is.

I will give an example.

I used pavement around the house, and I had two types of tiles.
I could connect them like this,

2018-03-31_145023.png.1427c4e4013b0b00a995f48c3d8f8845.png

but that would make a distinctive divide.
So I used dithering, and the tile on the divider gradually mixed, so the transition is smooth.

2018-03-31_145111.png.12e85277dd132b555d810a5435d67608.png

The same principle is used by color printers, which with several colors (depending on the number of cartridges/toners), can create their realistic looking colors by gradually mixing them.

When editing photos, dithering is used if you need to reduce the number of colors - to avoid significant color transitions.

For example, the Safe Dither Web will replace existing colors with only a few safe colors for viewing on the web. The image quality is still decent despite significant reduction.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

10 hours ago, Pšenda said:

It looks more complicated than it really is.

I will give an example.

I used pavement around the house, and I had two types of tiles.
I could connect them like this,

2018-03-31_145023.png.1427c4e4013b0b00a995f48c3d8f8845.png

but that would make a distinctive divide.
So I used dithering, and the tile on the divider gradually mixed, so the transition is smooth.

2018-03-31_145111.png.12e85277dd132b555d810a5435d67608.png

The same principle is used by color printers, which with several colors (depending on the number of cartridges/toners), can create their realistic looking colors by gradually mixing them.

When editing photos, dithering is used if you need to reduce the number of colors - to avoid significant color transitions.

For example, the Safe Dither Web will replace existing colors with only a few safe colors for viewing on the web. The image quality is still decent despite significant reduction.

Thanks for going the extra paragraphs for me. As *JC once exclaimed, "Alrighty Then!" I think I get it. So reducing colours doesn't give you a poorer result from a colour point of view? AND apart from helping web pages stop 'banding' is this used commonly for photographs? I haven't come across this before.  

I just looked up Web Safe Dither in Affinity Photo Help and up came the filter - Thanks for that I didn't realise it was there at all. Very interesting.

*(Jim Carrey)

15 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Us up't north, well, Nottingham, say "All of a dither, stop dithering, I'm in a tizz.

@travel bug Apparently there is an instrument from OZ called a ditheridoo :P

Yes that's right I remember that sort of conversation when I lived in England as a young lad but I think the 'ditheridoo' is only used by Aborigines that can't yet read music and play scales on the full blown version of the instrument. Sort of a beginners version.

I am no expert on the subject but FWIW, it takes a great deal of skill to master a didgeridoo to produce the characteristic continuous drone (via circular rebreathing) & multiple resonance overtones the instrument is capable of producing. If you are interested in such things, check out the 'playing' & 'physics' sections of the Wikipedia article.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If you are interested in such things, check out the 'playing' & 'physics' sections of the Wikipedia article.

I’m just waiting for you to tell me that you spotted some errors in the article, so that I can ask you, “Did you redo it?” :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I’m just waiting for you to tell me that you spotted some errors in the article, so that I can ask you, “Did you redo it?” :P

Hi Alfred, I assume your comments were actually directed at me redoing and following the ‘Workbook’ exercises not about playing the Didgeridoo. If you were asking me if I had redone that section of the book - I haven’t yet as I wanted to keep moving into the book. But I will go back to that exercise and redo it. I think it might be me missing the point but I will take more time redoing it and comment if it’s a problem in the book text. Thanks 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I am no expert on the subject but FWIW, it takes a great deal of skill to master a didgeridoo to produce the characteristic continuous drone (via circular rebreathing) & multiple resonance overtones the instrument is capable of producing. If you are interested in such things, check out the 'playing' & 'physics' sections of the Wikipedia article.

Thanks for your comments. I don’t have a musical bone in my body. But in awe of anyone that does. Especially anyone that plays a didgeridoo.

25 minutes ago, travel bug said:

I think it might be me missing the point

I’m afraid you simply haven’t been around here long enough to know that I’m rather fond (some might say too fond) of puns! My use of the phrase “did you redo” was nothing more than an excuse for a bit of wordplay. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

You can't take everything @Alfred writes seriously. For example, if he tells you he can read maps backwards you should ignore it because that is just spam.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

wall i'll' be, I think mine escaped under the radar too. 

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

You can't take everything @Alfred writes seriously. For example, if he tells you he can read maps backwards you should ignore it because that is just spam.

We’re in great danger of wandering off into a discussion about ‘levidromes’. They’re a bit like palindromes, except that they come in pairs where reversing one of the words yields the other; e.g. desserts/stressed.

Alfred spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

We’re in great danger of wandering off into a discussion about ‘levidromes’. They’re a bit like palindromes, except that they come in pairs where reversing one of the words yields the other; e.g. desserts/stressed.

They might be for people who like wordplay but what about hippodromes ?

Are they for people who like horseplay ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Just now, toltec said:

They might be for people who like wordplay but what about hippodromes ?

Are they for people who like horseplay ?

I suppose you’re going to tell me that the judges at horse shows are hippo-crits!!

Alfred spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I suppose you’re going to tell me that the judges at horse shows are hippo-crits!!

No. I have no response for that.

tenor.gif.e44f205c180ed883117c832671f91052.gif

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.