You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A regular pattern can be removed with the 'FFT Denoise' filter in Affinity Photo, but that may not be appropriate here. If you attach an example we'll have a better idea of what you're working with.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Not sure if the  'FFT Denoise' filter could handle this so you may want to try a composite or some heavy duty window cleaner.

glass3.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

To me, that photo seems like it was taken with a polarizing filter on the camera. One solution might be to reshoot without that filter :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

To me, that photo seems like it was taken with a polarizing filter on the camera. One solution might be to reshoot without that filter :)

You could take a series of images with the polarizer rotated through various angles, from the same viewpoint (with a tripod if possible); then load them into a stack. Tweaking the options could give you an optimum solution. I would stsrt with minimum.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

or some heavy duty window cleaner

LOL. :D

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

48 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

You could take a series of images with the polarizer rotated through various angles, from the same viewpoint (with a tripod if possible); then load them into a stack. Tweaking the options could give you an optimum solution. I would start with minimum.

It may well not be possible for the OP to reshoot, in which case something like Carl’s composite is obviously the way to go.

Alfred spacer.png

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

Not sure if the  'FFT Denoise' filter could handle this so you may want to try a composite or some heavy duty window cleaner.

glass3.jpg

So Carl, what have you done to produce this version?

Well, in brief...

I selected just the island and copied it to it's own layer

Then select all the glass panes and delete them from the original background layer

Find an image of blue sky on the internet and put it as your bottom layer

Find an image of the sea and put just above the Sky layer and drag it down until it is level with the island

Tweak and refine as necessary

PS Once the glass panes are deleted you can add virtually any image you want

glass6.jpg

glass7.jpg

glass8.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The right-hand pane needs tweaking a little to reflect (sorry!) what’s happening in the original picture, but that’s probably quite easy to fix.

Alfred spacer.png

On 3/29/2018 at 6:13 PM, Alfred said:

A regular pattern can be removed with the 'FFT Denoise' filter in Affinity Photo, but that may not be appropriate here. If you attach an example we'll have a better idea of what you're working with.

I downloaded the image and selected just the window onto a separate layer. Applying the FFT filter to this made absolutely no difference.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Just now, John Rostron said:

I downloaded the image and selected just the window onto a separate layer. Applying the FFT filter to this made absolutely no difference.

Thanks, John. I suggested FFT Denoise as a possibility before I had seen the photo in question, but having seen it I’m not at all surprised that the FFT filter doesn’t do anything!

Alfred spacer.png