You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatically leave fullscreen when switching to Separated Mode

Hi there,

most of the time, I like to work with Affinity Designer/Photo in fullscreen mode. Sometimes however, I have multiple images that I need to compare while editing them, mainly to match white balance, exposure and so on because for example the images are intended to be placed on the same page of a magazine. Since Affinity applications have a tabbed interface and won't allow me to display multiple images side by side or get a tiled view while in Single Window Mode, I have to switch to Separated Mode in those cases.

The problem I have is this: The menu item Window > Separated Mode is greyed out while the application is fullscreen. This means that switching to Separated Mode always becomes a two-step process for me. I have to leave fullscreen first with one command and then activate Separated Mode with another command. The question I have is: why? Wouldn't it be much easier if turning on Separated Mode would automatically exit fullscreen if necessary? Or am I missing something why it can't work this way?

Best regards

kaffeeundsalz

I have a similar problem.
I wish to display two images side by side in Affinity Photo for comparison.

In most programs there is an option under "Windows"  to "Tile Vertically" or "Tile Horizontally" to compare two (or more) images.

I cannot even see a "Separated Mode" option in my Affinity Photo (v1.6.4.104) ?

You're on Windows, @Brian_G, which doesn't have separated mode. You can either:

(a) drag one of the tabs, which will give you a new window for that image; or

(b) play with Window->Float. (Sorry, I'm away from my PC and can't be more specific about that one.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome, Brian.

By the way, now that I'm back at the PC: Window->Float would detach the active image to a new window. You also hae Window->Float All which would detach all of the active images. And there are corresponding Window->Dock options.

Also, you could drag an image back to the tab bar to dock it, if you wanted to.

(I think all of what I have said is Windows-specific, just as running in Separated mode is Mac-specific.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks very much for the extra details.

I had seen the "Float" command but was unsure how to use it.
As a new user I'll have to spend more time becoming more familiar with these features.

One of my dislikes of Photoshop was the awful User Interface, but most commands were accessible through the menus.
It would appear that AP has a less cluttered UI, but as a result, there are more "hidden" menu commands.
Not better or worse, just different.
The key is understanding the differences - I'll get there eventually!.