You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

28 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It seems to open fine in Photoline, so I am thinking it isn't related to a patent. Just a plain ol' not supported thing.

It's possible.

Have to wait and see if APh adds support in the future.

The only reason I used it was because Jpeg2000 had the ability to compress TIFs to half size yet still preserved all their quality through Lossless compression.

PNG also has lossless compression, but PNG does not support LAB Color, which is why I went with Jpeg2000.

I did not anticipate Adobe not making Photoshop CS5 obsolete.

Adobe didn't make PS CS5 obsolete. The OS manufacturers moved on and it is they they basically render older applications obsolete on those new OSs. Apple is the worst for this, though I think that Microsoft has historically kept legacy application support for too long. There's a balance in there somewhere. 

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Adobe didn't make PS CS5 obsolete. The OS manufacturers moved on and it is they they basically render older applications obsolete on those new OSs. Apple is the worst for this, though I think that Microsoft has historically kept legacy application support for too long. There's a balance in there somewhere. 

That is only partly true as far as Adobe.

Adobe could have built CS5 to be compatible with newer Apple OS but they did not because they want users to switch over to Creative Cloud. I will not pay $10 a month to rent the use of a program.

I have other programs that were made back when I was using the Lion OS and they installed without any problems on High Sierra OS.

All I had to do with them was check for updates.

VLC and HandBrake installed and ran fine on High Sierra without updates, which meant their programs were made to operate on many Apple OS.

Adobe could have done the same if they wanted to.

Nah. Adobe's and some other maker's applications utilize the OS deeply. On the Mac this is especially true. So when there are significant changes in the OS, they can, and will, function erratic or break altogether. 

The Affinity applications are made this way, too. One cannot even install them on macOS that is too old. And there are issue that have developed even with High Sierra revisions.

I have CS6 installed on Windows 10 currently. But it too will eventually break with a future update.

I'll rent Adobe products when and for as long as needed to handle a client job. Luckily I only ever need to rent ID and even so, I have only needed to do so a handful of times since CC came out. I'm certainly not going to turn down work that interests me just because the client wants the job done in CC.

I know that Fireworks CS5 is requiring the Java 6 runtime environment in order to work; I had to specifically install that when I upgraded to El Capitan. I could imagine this to be similar with older versions of other Adobe software. So, I wouldn’t really put the entire blame on Adobe, it could very well be that at the time of development that runtime environment was state of the art and with newer versions of their software they also switched to newer versions of the runtime environment, but it would be a waste of resources to port the old verisons over, too. And newer versions of the operating system (in this case by Apple) just don’t support the old runtime environments anymore.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Nah. Adobe's and some other maker's applications utilize the OS deeply. On the Mac this is especially true. So when there are significant changes in the OS, they can, and will, function erratic or break altogether. 

The Affinity applications are made this way, too. One cannot even install them on macOS that is too old. And there are issue that have developed even with High Sierra revisions.

I have CS6 installed on Windows 10 currently. But it too will eventually break with a future update.

I'll rent Adobe products when and for as long as needed to handle a client job. Luckily I only ever need to rent ID and even so, I have only needed to do so a handful of times since CC came out. I'm certainly not going to turn down work that interests me just because the client wants the job done in CC.

One of the things I did before purchasing Affinity was check the OS requirements and it did say it is compatible with High Sierra.

So far I have not had any problems with it other than the lack of JPF support.

There have been 2 recent updates for High Sierra. It is now up to 10.13.4 OS.

The updates are supposed to improve stability.

The only issues I have had with High Sierra so far are iMovie quitting during a video edits.

I make sure to send the error report to Apple since iMovie is an Apple product.

53 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

I know that Fireworks CS5 is requiring the Java 6 runtime environment in order to work; I had to specifically install that when I upgraded to El Capitan. I could imagine this to be similar with older versions of other Adobe software. So, I wouldn’t really put the entire blame on Adobe, it could very well be that at the time of development that runtime environment was state of the art and with newer versions of their software they also switched to newer versions of the runtime environment, but it would be a waste of resources to port the old verisons over, too. And newer versions of the operating system (in this case by Apple) just don’t support the old runtime environments anymore.

When I was having problems with CS5 on High Sierra the first thing I did was contact Adobe directly.

I chatted on-line with one of their technicians for almost an hour trying to find out why CS5 was crashing on High Sierra.

They also recommended installing Java, which I did, but it did not fix it.

I sent them one of the error reports and their techs told me that it is definitely an OS compatibility problem with High Sierra.

The techs also told me that CS5 and CS6 were never fully tested on Apple OS above Yosemite specifically because Adobe is no longer supporting CS5 or CS6 that originally came with perpetual licenses.

Adobe wants everyone to switch over to Creative Cloud.

I don't like using programs that require a monthly payment.

Plus I live in a remote area of Arizona where internet connections are not stable or high speed.

My maximum connection speed is only 1.50 MB per second, which is just above dial-up.

My Service provider told me that the infrastructure just does not exist in my area for high speed broadband.

And since I make my living as a nature and landscape photographer I sometimes have to go into remote areas where there is no internet or cellular service.

One time I was on the north rim of the Grand Canyon for a week with zero cellular and no internet.

So running programs that require constant internet connections, such as CC, are not practical or desirable for me.

58 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

I don't like using programs that require a monthly payment.

[…]

So running programs that require constant internet connections, such as CC, are not practical or desirable for me.

Neither do I and neither is it for me which brought me to Affinity, too. Of course Adobe wants people to switch to the subscription model, just as any company wants people to upgrade their software to the newer version while older versions aren’t supported anymore (or barely get basic fixes). That’s progress and one can’t stop it (at least when you’re upgrading a component (the OS) on which another component (the program) relies).

The best thing you could do is open a feature request for JPEG2000 support, and in the meantime use GraphicConverter to convert all your files which, according to Wikipedia, can handle JPEG2000 (but then, if you’ve converted everything you probably don’t need JPEG2000 support in AP anymore, haha).

41 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

Neither do I and neither is it for me which brought me to Affinity, too. Of course Adobe wants people to switch to the subscription model, just as any company wants people to upgrade their software to the newer version while older versions aren’t supported anymore (or barely get basic fixes). That’s progress and one can’t stop it (at least when you’re upgrading a component (the OS) on which another component (the program) relies).

The best thing you could do is open a feature request for JPEG2000 support, and in the meantime use GraphicConverter to convert all your files which, according to Wikipedia, can handle JPEG2000 (but then, if you’ve converted everything you probably don’t need JPEG2000 support in AP anymore, haha).

I'll check into this GraphicConverter.

But on the matter of opening a feature request, I thought that is what this thread was about.

When I emailed APh support about this issue they sent me a link to this part of the forum and told me to post about it, which I have done.

Is there another posting I need to make?

4 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

But on the matter of opening a feature request, I thought that is what this thread was about.

Right, sorry; for a moment I forgot we’re already in the feature requests forum because of the extended talk about Adobe. :$

All is good, forget that suggestion by me. :)

2 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

Right, sorry; for a moment I forgot we’re already in the feature requests forum because of the extended talk about Adobe. :$

All is good, forget that suggestion by me. :)

Hopefully APh tech support is reading this discussion and will add JPF support as a future update.