You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard Meshing in Affinity Designer ?

Hi @Ben and @MEB

i have a question here, maybe someone asked about it but i will take it and ask.

Will ADesigner include some sort of meshing functionality in coming release?

Okay ! sounds crazy said like that.

Let say i start a Design project after i have defined everything (gabarit etc.) on paper; my work on this dynamic design concept would start by creating/selecting what i call a "master artboard" of a certains size, say Poster A3 (Yes would be great if we can have that functionality), next i would create what can be called "slave artboard" of another size say Flyer A5; that meshing function would allow me to connect these two at certain stage of my work in order for them to update one another but only for certain specific field.

Now comes the thing,

i connect the created master page with the slave using a connector then everything (text by preference) i type in the master get automatically replicated and scaled into the slave artboard.

But... because there is a but.

the field with dynamic nature (to me) must text and digit (date, hours, locations etc...) not pictures or colors (would be great but can make things very hard to understand or manage).

that function would help me to create dynamic field in the master artboard similar to what we have into MS Excel (e.g: =Today , calendar etc... or anything similar).

my idea is; the connectors only respond to dynamic objects/field from the master page then because master and slave are connected one to another it would make it possible to update any of the (only) connected artboard just by unlocking/changing the entry.

if we don't want an artboard to be updated and stay static we just disconnect or don't connect it at all.

i know this sounds more of web design and web coding stuff but as we are in a converging world, who knows what comes tomorrow !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

22 hours ago, Arnaud Mez said:

would start by creating/selecting what i call a "master artboard" of a certains size, say Poster A3 (Yes would be great if we can have that functionality), next i would create what can be called "slave artboard" of another size say Flyer A5

Hi @Arnaud Mez,

did you look into Symbols? Those are a way of syncing design elements across multiple instances. Even if they are of different sizes.

I am not sure if this works completely as a solution to your question. But it works with text :)

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

7 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @Arnaud Mez,

did you look into Symbols? Those are a way of syncing design elements across multiple instances. Even if they are of different sizes.

I am not sure if this works completely as a solution to your question. But it works with text :)

Cheers,

d.

Dear @Dominic yes I have looked at the symbols and they are very good and even helped me to move very fast with my last design and even the idea of  meshing, dynamic components inside the project was birth out of many issues I faced with the symbols.

I then tough of a way to make it better using dynamic objects directly embossed in the master document and synced between  all connected Artboard. 

Very similar with network router tables and the way they update one another. 

At this stage... Why not synch other stuffs too. 

May just be considered as the improvement of the already good to use symbols

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

5 hours ago, Arnaud Mez said:

using dynamic objects directly embossed in the master document and synced between  all connected Artboard. 

Hello @Arnaud Mez,

the concept of a 'master document' sounds to me more like something that we most likely will see in Affinity Publisher that is announced for later this year. Maybe this will bring some of the functionallity you are thinking of.

You can already mimic the concept of master pages with symbols:

1. Create an artboard and place everything that is part of the masterpage on it.
  2. Create a rectangle of the size of the artboard.
  3. Select everything and group. Then make this group a symbol.
  4. Copy the artboard and resize it, if needed.
  5. Place different layout elements onto the artboards that are independent of the master page content.

Now, when you make changes to the master page elements on the first artboard this will change on all connected artboards.

I haven't tried this thoroughly. But basically it should work :)

Cheers.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

5 hours ago, dominik said:

Hello @Arnaud Mez,

the concept of a 'master document' sounds to me more like something that we most likely will see in Affinity Publisher that is announced for later this year. Maybe this will bring some of the functionallity you are thinking of.

You can already mimic the concept of master pages with symbols:

1. Create an artboard and place everything that is part of the masterpage on it.
  2. Create a rectangle of the size of the artboard.
  3. Select everything and group. Then make this group a symbol.
  4. Copy the artboard and resize it, if needed.
  5. Place different layout elements onto the artboards that are independent of the master page content.

Now, when you make changes to the master page elements on the first artboard this will change on all connected artboards.

I haven't tried this thoroughly. But basically it should work :)

Cheers.

d.

@dominik Whoow so nice what you brought.

Really appreciate that, will try it with my next project and revert.

So nice to you around.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Just now, Arnaud Mez said:

@dominik Whoow so nice what you brought.

Really appreciate that, will try it with my next project and revert.

So nice to you around.

Good luck by trying this out on your next project. Maybe you get the time and come back and report how it turned out :)

d.