You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings!

Im a new bird to the whole picture editing black magic, so don't destroy me if something is too obvious. 

I'm a part of a small rugby team here in germany and because I'm curently unactive because of my injury i decided to help my team out by doing some PR and Comercial stuff. 

Now i got a task of converting an PNG and PDF image in to a vector based data so we can make our youngsters some new jerseys ,and i got stuck. Who would have thought :7_sweat_smile:

the images are not of great quality. I already tryed it by marking the letters and, not with very much sucsess, croping them out but i always seem to get lost in the comands.

Me and my team would be very gratefull if some of You could help us climb this stormy mountain.

• Staff

Hi Valkyrie,

Welcome to the forums!

No problem at all, I'm sure we can help :) Unfortunately there's no automatic way of doing this, and the method will vary by image type and design. If possible, could you upload a sample of a PNG or PDF that you are trying to convert? That was we can help directly with your image!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thank You for yur reply, Dan.

So here re the two badboys that are causing me problems.

As i already said, i should convert those in to vector data so that we can zoom in and out without any destortion. We are making some new jesrsys for our youngsters team and the sponsors would be quite pissed it they werent on them :7_sweat_smile:

Reichert_Logo (1).pdf

Standard Schriftzug (1).png

I can't see a problem with the PDF as it already contains vector data!

I only have AP not AD, but there's no problem opening it in DrawPlus and enlarging the logo, it may be worth investing in DP, if all else fails.

As far as the PNG file goes, if it's just that word you need in an old typewriter font, there are plenty of free ones available. I'm sure you could find one that is very close.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Thank You for your answer Paul.

It was realy easy with the PDF conversion.

But as I said in my first post, im a complete beginner with the whole photo editing software martial arts, so dont get too pissed whe something is too obvious for You guys.

As for the PNG, i didnt quite understand what you wanted to say there, sory. The only program i have is Affinity Photo. I bought the full licence after the trial and i quite like it for the job i am doing and capable of doing :7_sweat_smile: I made a few event posters and am curently suffering my way trough making a line based lionhead design which is going to be filled with the picture of our home town, if that makes any sense :4_joy:

Hi, Valkyrie_221

Some beginner info to help you get started w. image editing.

One comes upon 2 kinds of computer graphics most often. Vectors are one. Bit-maps are the others, which is also sometimes referred to as raster or pixel.

Vectors are mathematical descriptions. Geometric shapes, wave forms, anything that can be plotted. If one is displaying vectors on a video screen, the math shapes have to be fit onto the image grid. In old video tubes, this was called rasterization. Later displays had discreet picture elements, pixels.

Bit-maps refer to image data that has been placed within a grid. It is a set of samples. If the samples can be grouped in some fashion, the boundaries of the groups can be described by the map co-ordinates.  Sometimes this is called tracing.

Traditionally, 2D vector apps are called "draw", as in could have been made at a drafting table. Bit maps were called "paint" as in dabs placed on a canvas.

A program like AP is mostly a "paint" program, in that mostly deals w. the masses of camera sensor data, and adjusts how it is portrayed both in color and place. But it also can read certain kinds of vector data, and create some. A .pdf file may have both vector and bit map data encoded into it. A .png has only bit map. Neither AP or AD has a routine for tracing a bit map. In my experience, tracing is usually a very poor approximation, and produces awkward vectors that require lots of hand work to clean up. If you are starting from poor quality images, blurred, low contrast, noisy, etc. one can try sharpening, boosting contrast, de-noising. But a trace from that may still be unusable. So back to doing it by hand. That is, connect the dots.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The PNG image of the word, standard, is a really terribly made font that is available from dafont...

https://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=signs zeichen&text=standr

But do note that the PNG (or the text that the PNG image was made from) has been stretched, compressed and the tracking/kerning for the font was applied. Like I said, horribly made font as found on dafont.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Good morning!  I found this thread in my search for help converting my AP file to vector.  I am a 'newbie' with this sort of thing and for fun, made my son's basketball team a logo for use on their team software app.  Now the team is having shirts and pants made with the logo and I need to provide a vector file.  I changed some of the items to curves and exported the file as an .eps but the printing company is saying it's not a Vector file.  Is anyone able to help?  I am uploading the file in the hopes someone is able to assist - I'm sorry the layers are MESSY!  I have AP/AD and APub if that helps.

STEEL_KINGS.afphoto

• Staff

Hi chelcod :)

I can see some of your layers have fx applied (Outer Shadows etc) - unfortunately all fx adjustments aren't vector compatible and will be rasterised when exporting to any format. There's no workaround available for this, if you require a vector output you will need to disable these fx - my apologies!

Equally your file has a Brightness/Contrast adjustment applied, these adjustments are pixel adjustments and aren't vector compatible - meaning any objects beneath the adjustment (ie being affected by it) will be rasterised on export.

As well as this, some of your layers are already Pixel layers, which aren't vector objects, such as the shield -

image.png

You will need to trace these layers using the pen tool to replace every Pixel layer with a Curve layer. I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)