You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm fairly new to photo editing and I just bought AP. I'm trying to achieve this effect by following this (PS) tutorial, tho I'm stuck at what hes does at 6:00 into the clip. When I'm trying to make the mask and then invert it, tho I don't get the same effect in AP. Could anyone explain how to achieve this in AP? Couldn't find any AP tutorial on a similar effect.

Photographer * Design Trainee * Linux nerd

Instagram - Youtube - Website

I'm on iPad (which handles masks a little differently to desktop) but the technique in your video sample can be reproduced easily enough (6.00 min mark). Open main image (washer (or clock in my example). Place second image (mountains and road). Second image layer is above main image layer. Lower opacity of second image and move it/size it to get road in opening of main image. When happy, restore opacity to 100%.

Add a mask layer to the second image (the one you want to show through). Select the mask layer, go to channels and invert the mask layer. This makes it black to block out (mask) the image. Now you see only the main image.

Use selection tool and elliptical marquee tool to draw over the main image where you want the second image to show through. Copy this selection to new layer and fill this selection with white (white unmasks), now drag this new white circle layer onto the 'mask' layer associated with the second image. This creates a white circle on your black mask. The portion of the back image revealed by the white circle shows through on the front image. This is what occurs at the 6:00min mark of your video. (Actually same concept as the video I referred you to).

To finish the effect select a paintbrush and white colour then paint into the mask layer to reveal the road coming through the opening.

You can reduce the opacity of the white circle to show a little of the clock face as in my example.

Add another background (ocean wave). Mask the bits you want to see as white. 2nd image.

74EE77D4-F883-44E1-9B75-574C44AA4E17.png

71CE23C0-B124-4362-ACF6-650C02F4F6EA.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 10:10 AM, DM1 said:

Use selection tool and elliptical marquee tool to draw

Can't manage to make it.. I think it's around here where it goes wrong :/ My mask doesn't shine thru entirely, they're like transparent and showing that white/gray grid and stuff.

Photographer * Design Trainee * Linux nerd

Instagram - Youtube - Website

2 hours ago, Totte said:

Here it is..

You weren't kidding about its being quite big! (For those wondering, it's just under 300 MB.)

I don't see a white or grey grid here. Can you post a screenshot?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@TotteHere is a copy of my earlier file. It’s small (only 11mb). It is pretty simple and should give you a good idea of how each layer was created and position.

Masks are like a sheet of glass (clear) that you sit over a pixel image. When you create a mask on the iPad it is filled with white (White reveals) and you can see all the image the mask is covering. When you invert the mask it fills with Black (Black conceals/hides), and none of the image covered by the mask is visible. This is why you paint White on Black masks to reveal parts of an image, and paint Black on White masks to hide parts of an image.

You can adjust the opacity of the masks so that they can be seen through by adjusting the opacity slider.

The position of the masks within the layers is all important. It is probably a good idea to work on part of the image (reveal/conceal) mask, then group those layers before adding the next image and masking. That way you can move the grouped images more easily without accidentally moving the masks.

Composite images.afphoto

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

If you want the road to extend outside the watch face you need to add another mask to the background layer. See in my example how the road appears over the wave. This needed another mask then paint to hide/reveal as needed.

Hello Totte,
DM1 has a nice example.
I would proceed as follows.
deselect your selection,
click on the mask layer and use the brush tool with white foreground color.
(I would take a soft brush tip)
paint over the area you want to make visible,
with black color, is the area again covered.

Cheers

Pannel-1.PNG

klocka.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)