You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer or Photo for digital painting

Hey all,

Most of the time I use Photoshop for digital drawing and painting, but recently I was exploring other options, just wondering between Designer and Photo which one is a better choice for digital drawing?

What are the pros/cons of using either of them compared to Photoshop?

Thanks

Hi,

I haven't used a full version of Photoshop in years, but did use Elements up until I got the Affinity apps. I'd say Photo is more like Photoshop. Neither is specifically for digital painting/drawing, but do a good job. Both Photo and Designer share the same bit-map brush capabilities, and will use Photoshop format brushes. Photo gives more control over bit-map images. Designer has a very interesting "vector brush," which stretches/repeats a bitmap along a vector path.

There are 10 day free trials for both. If you try them, I'd suggest downloading 1 first, and after half the time, down load the other so you can see how they two apps integrate. Both AD and AP files can be opened by either.

And, if you are not pinching pennies, get both. I do most work in Designer, but there are somethings that need Photo.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet