vovkasolovev

Bug: Expand Stroke has very low accuracy

Yes, it's very bad. As a workaround, try scaling your objects around 5-10 times their size (use the Transforms Panel), Expand Stroke, then scale them down. This usually works for me.

Hi MEB, would you know how long will it take to the devs to address this and other serious bugs? These fixes are essential for us design professionals.

Hi rubs,

This depends on quite a few things: complexity of the bugs/fixes necessary, how much they may affect other functionality, where we are in the Beta phase (in the beginning, or almost ready to release/update the retail), if they are more or less critical/common, dev teams plans/time.... It's hard to predict these things. The dev teams are doing the best they can to review/fix them as fast as possible.

Thanks for the quick answer. Anyway, I fear they release new versions (we all know 1.7 is already on the way) without fixing all those broken features. Many of them were never addressed despite being there for a long time and the frequent complaints from several users in this very forum.

True, some get postponed and may take some time/versions to be addressed. These are generally complex issues that may require rewriting a big chunk of the code or are dependent/waiting on changes or improvements coming in a future version or any other reason. Boolean operations and expand strokes are two cases that require reviewing/rewriting the code but that doesn't mean they will not be addressed or that we are ignoring them. I do understand how the wait can be frustrating...

Yes, it's frustrating, of course. But these are not just bugs, I think. There is no pleasant way to say it, but all this may also hurt sales (and company image) somewhat. You see, I'm a big fan of Affinity Designer and I talk quite a lot about its many virtues -- including this forum, by the way -- but I'm reluctant to recommend it to colleagues because of these flawed implementations. I'd love to change my point of view as soon as possible!

Hi rubs,

It's also frustrating for the dev teams. All software have bugs but rather than trying to work around them or providing a quirk and dirty solution, they hope to fully address these issues even if that means rewriting a bunch of code or postponing them as necessary until a proper solution/fix can be found. This approach may affect the perception of the software negatively in the short/medium term but i think it will be better for everyone in the end. Anyway, thank you for your support - i understand your reluctancy in recommending it as it's now but i do hope we will be able to solve these problems at some point.

MEB, that's a nice answer. Maybe the guys from QC should consider sharing a bit more (Ben is already doing that) so we could know which bugs they are addressing.

Thanks a lot,

I really really really hope you guys will be able to fix this bug as soon as possible.

It's essential to me to have perfect paths when I expand strokes because I do this every single day.
My job involve processing a lot of paths and this is a core feature to me.

Wish the best, thank you