You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Overlays- Affinity Photo

Is it possible to add the compositional overlay 'dynamic symmetry grid' to the overlay drop down.  This grid has been found to be very useful for cropping architectural images as well as others.  Itn many applications including painting and other creative arts.

https://www.ipoxstudios.com/dynamic-symmetry-grids-for-photographers-and-painters/

5abb597116595_SHEET4-DynamicSymmetrySamplesbyTavisLeafGloveratCanonofDesign.thumb.jpg.3d180eedf475643542476170c2297df4.jpg

SHEET 1-Dynamic Symmetry Samples by Tavis Leaf Glover at Canon of Design.jpg

7 hours ago, Mark Stevens said:

Is it possible to add the compositional overlay 'dynamic symmetry grid' to the overlay drop down.  This grid has been found to be very useful for cropping architectural images as well as others.

Hello @Mark Stevens,

I find this very interesting and I've never seen this kind of grid before.

To give you an instant workaround to your question I created a (not sientific, just visually copied) version of one of the grids. And saved it as an Asset in Affinity Designer (see attachement). You can import this file into your Assets library and place it over a photo. After the cropping you either delete it or hide it.

Note: Assets are only available in Affinity Designer. You need to own both programs. For the cropping you need to switch back to Affinity Photo.

I am aware that this is only a clumsy workaround. But it seems to work :)

d.

Dynamic Grids.afassets

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hello - thanks very much for you prompt reply and work on this.  Unfortunately I do not have Affinity Designer so can not take advantage of your suggested work around.  I am not a programmer but I would have thought that the addition of more crop overlays would not be a complicated task.  I am sure you must have had other requests for other overlays not presently provided.  If it is not possible, is there another way in Affinity to utilise grids either as a Style, Layer etc rather than through the crop tool?  If it was on a layer you could check/uncheck as desired.