You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I type out text using the Artistic Text or Text Frame tools, then double (or triple) click and proceed to highlight the text that I want to make adjustments to. The only problem is, I can't see what I've selected because the text doesn't become highlighted! I could still make edits, but it takes alot more time if I am moving quickly and don't put my cursor where I think it should be.

Any help?

Screenshot 2018-03-27 20.51.51.png

Affinity Designer 1.6.1, Mac 10.13.3

Hard to say more unless you say what program or what operating system you are using but it works for me. Dragging to select, double clicking or triple clicking. Photo on Windows.

STEP.jpg.42de2a67de9d7849eabeeb26d301abfb.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I also use Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & macOS 10.13.3. I do not have any problems highlighting text. One reason you might is because you have installed some third party 'enhancement' software that affects text entry, copy & paste, the clipboard, or anything that might intercept user input before passing it on to an app. Though not common, it is possible for this kind of software to conflict with only one or a few apps, so even if no other app is affected you can't be 100% certain that it is not causing this issue with Affinity Designer.

Do you have anything like that installed on your Mac? If so, is it the latest version & known to be compatible with High Sierra?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you have anything like that installed on your Mac? If so, is it the latest version & known to be compatible with High Sierra?

I actually do have something like that its called Flycut however I quit the application, restarted AD and the problem still persists :(

You may also want to check if it is possibly affected by the used font style/type, try the same with some other common font and see if the problem then still persists too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

32 minutes ago, modiophile said:

I actually do have something like that its called Flycut however I quit the application, restarted AD and the problem still persists :(

I am not familiar with Flycut so I am just guessing, but it is possible that quitting it leaves some daemon or background 'helper' running. Activity Monitor might show if that is true or not but I don't know what to look for so unfortunately you are on your own with that.

I also did a very brief web search which did not turn up much other than a user comment that the Mac App Store version has not been updated in a long time & might cause problems, but I do not know how reliable that info really is.

It is a long shot, but maybe just quitting the app & restarting your Mac might help, as long as it does not restart automatically when you log into your user account.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 9 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 4:16 AM, solarDog said:

This seems to correspond with certain fonts. I was having the same issue with Gotham. Switched to another font and it worked.

What could be causing that to happen?

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.14.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.14.40 PM.png

This is a really unusual bug. I'm having the same problem when using Gotham as a typeface. Any solutions?

Designer 1.6.5 on Mac OS 10.14.2

I can select Gotham

753461624_ScreenShot2019-01-24at07_47_54.png.37c9ea459766e440b98880b424f2aee3.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

same basic problem: can't see text selection highlight. But with this unusual twist:

If I zoom out, I can eventually see the selection. Thankfully the text is still legible. Font size has no effect, it is solely tied to the zoom scale.

There was a reported problem some time ago, with text that is outside an artboard. If you zoom in enough that no artboards are visible in the window, the text won't highlight when selected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Definitely a weird behavior.

I had no problem highlighting text, and suddenly, I can't highlight any text in my file (opening a different tab, copy/paste text frame, I can select/highlight).

I kept clicking around in text, played a bit with some frames (making sure they were within bleed - they were), put the "Show bleed" off and back on… At some point it started working again, not sure which action solved it though.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Mac OS Big Sur 10.2.2.

I'm having intermittent probs with text highlighting. If I highlight upwards from one page onto the previous page in a multi-page doc, the 1st page highlights, then the remaining text doesn't highlight onto the next page. But when I release the mouse button at the desired stopping point, the edit affects the text as though the highlight was complete.

I find that there is no problem highlighting small areas eg one or two words.