You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

new iPad 9,7" …

• Staff

Oval, do you expect us to know the answers today?...  when yesterday it was unannounced or are you just asking early and happy to wait until they are actually available?  :)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

From the specs alone seems only the chip was upgraded to an A10 Fusion Chip (from an A9) - not the a10X found in the Pro's - and it now supports Apple Pencil (compared to the previous 9.7" version). It still doesn't have/support a laminated display, antireflective coating, ProMotion technology (reduced lag/latency with Apple Pencil/fluid scrolling), a wide color display (P3) or a True Tone display as the Pro versions which is somewhat expected since this is geared towards education/lower price. Curious to see how it performs with Affinity apps.

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Oval, do you expect us to know the answers today?

We also do not reveal any time secrets. ;)  Just asking late and happy if the marketing of Serif uses the launch of the new low-priced iPads for promotional purposes.

• Staff

We have not tried Affinity Designer for iPad on the iPad 2018, but we suspect that Apple may have tried Affinity Photo for iPad on it. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have not tried Affinity Designer for iPad on the iPad 2018

Wow, Patrick, what iPads have you tried it on ..... I would love to try it on mine!! ;)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Well it's crucial that the Affinity products will then also run well on this lower cost mass entry iPad 2018 model, since that one will for sure gain most sells and thus more potential users due to it's cheaper prices.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 0:08 PM, Lee D said:

I'm sure once we have some of the new models we can do some comparisons.

Have you done that yet? I am particularly interested in the smoothness of the Apple Pencil when used with a 2018 iPad vs. an iPad Pro.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...

Surely Serif compared the Pro with the new cheap iPad 2018. 

Until we get a statement you can summarize it like this: The new one is more than smooth enough for the masses, but professionals need the Pro.

34 minutes ago, Oval said:

Surely Serif compared the Pro with the new cheap iPad 2018.

Thanks for mentioning this. I am hoping to get some sort of comment about this from them, ideally one that would go into the details of the differences that would make the 2018 model inadequate for pro or advanced amateur use.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

T

On 4/5/2018 at 11:54 PM, R C-R said:

... I am particularly interested in the smoothness of the Apple Pencil when used with a 2018 iPad vs. an iPad Pro.

The latest Pro models support ProMotion technology for reduced lag/latency with Apple Pencil which is not included in the IPad 2018.

The stunning, redesigned Retina display in iPad Pro features ProMotion, a new technology that delivers refresh rates of up to 120Hz for fluid scrolling, greater responsiveness and smoother motion content. With ProMotion, Apple Pencil is even more responsive with an industry-best, 20-millisecond latency for even more fluid and natural drawing

Apple's source.

34 minutes ago, MEB said:

The latest Pro models support ProMotion technology for reduced lag/latency with Apple Pencil which is not included in the IPad 2018.

I know Apple says ProMotion makes the Pencil more responsive, & I have no reason to doubt that it does, but I am hoping to get some idea about how much of a quantitative difference that would be in actual use.

I visited my local Apple Store to ask about this & tried to get them to temporarily install the Affinity app on both models so I could 'try before I buy' but understandably they were not willing to do that & all they would say was that it is "better" on the Pro.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I know Apple says ProMotion makes the Pencil more responsive, & I have no reason to doubt that it does, but I am hoping to get some idea about how much of a quantitative difference that would be in actual use.

I visited my local Apple Store to ask about this & tried to get them to temporarily install the Affinity app on both models so I could 'try before I buy' but understandably they were not willing to do that & all they would say was that it is "better" on the Pro.

I don’t think it is not smooth enough for you. You can find a direct comparison in a video (from ai?!), but the effect looks much bigger than it feels!

HTH

Georg

• Staff

You cannot be expected to read everything we all type, so sorry for the lack of an update here, but I already replied in other places about this and forgot to come back here too.

Oval, (again) your statement "Surely Serif compared the Pro with the new cheap iPad 2018" does feel like you are holding us to task rather than just asking "any update on this?" We do not have an infinite amount of time and resources so things get overlooked. Is this just your factual approach or a "lost in translation" thing or do you actually try to catch us out? For example are you seriously considering buying an iPad 2018 or are you asking again now for completeness or even for altruistic reasons as you think others will want to know?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Patrick Connor, we really do not understand the many questions, we just wanted an objective presentation. Georg has already explained his point of view, which at least makes the question of the purchase unnecessary. That the A10 F is fast enough, is not the question, but this is mainly about the Pencil. The iPad 2018 will be a big success for Serif because of Apple Pencil.

14 minutes ago, Oval said:

That the A10 F is fast enough, is not the question, but this is mainly about the Pencil.

That isn’t obvious from the OP to this thread, which merely says:

On 27/03/2018 at 5:54 PM, Oval said:

What are the restrictions in comparison to the Pro (like the display quality and the “drawing”/display speed)?

The Apple Pencil isn’t mentioned in that post.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred, after more than a month, it should be clear that only the usability of Pencil (parallax, speed, smoothness, …) is not clearly presented. 

Because the word Pencil is missing does not mean that Pencil was not meant.

Speaking only for myself, I would really like to hear what people who have had a chance to try the Apple Pencil with both the pro & 2018 non-pro devices think about the difference in their responsiveness to Pencil input. Apple & Microsoft seem to be waging a marketing battle for the title of 'shortest tablet lag time' but it seems like both are already far into the zone of diminishing returns on a cost/performance basis.

So basically what I am trying to decide is if shaving a few more milliseconds off of that really justifies the considerable difference in cost. I am in no way a pro user & my freehand drawing skills are both rusty & not that great to begin with. If the additional lag with the 2018 iPad is going to make it that much harder  for me to get comfortable using it, I probably would be unhappy & end up returning both Apple devices.

Affinity Photo 

Hi R C-R. I hope my input can help you. I used photo on several iPads including iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7” iPad Pro 10.5” iPad Pro 12, iPad 2018. In General, my experience with Pencil on the new iPad was similar to previous Pro (9.7) iPads. It can handle professional works easily, the laminated screen and 120fps promotion does not effect your professional workflow, but does make the overal experience much more enjoyable. Regarding the pencil lag, unless your really trying to find the difference, its not really noticable and both handle professional works well. The true tone has been a negative point in my experience and i always turned it off while getting pro work done. So to summerize, as a hobbyist, all the iPads mentioned will work fine, and for professionals, except the iPad Air 2, all will work ok and can handle projects well. The only reason i would recommend the iPad Pro to someone over the 2018 iPad is for future proofing it, or they really want the luxurious joy of 120 fps promotion or the gapless laminated screen. Please keep in mind that this is my opinion only on Affinity Photo app, not others. 

If you directly compare and have the choice, you want the bigger, faster, thinner, better screen (the better handling of Apple Pencil).

If the additional lag with the 2018 iPad is going to make it that much harder  for me to get comfortable using it,

The really small lag is forgotten after the first 4, 2 or 42 strokes. But perhaps not the small, less black and mirroring screen.

Thanks to all who have commented, particularly to @Big for the long & thoughtful reply, & to @Oval for starting the topic & keeping it going.

This has helped me decide that the new iPad & Pencil will be a fine choice for me. I would buy them tomorrow but for an unexpected plumbing problem that put a $3000+ dent in our budget, so it will be some months before I can do that. Such is life, I guess. :(

Affinity Photo 

• 2 months later...

@R C-R it was in May - how does it work? Do you by any chance also have latest Designer on it? I am very curious how both apps work on the iPad 2018 + Apple Pencil combo.

It is not very likely I will be able to test it in apple store with affinity installed on them so I'd appreciate your review on it! :)

www.cgartists.eu