You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity makes my picture previews dark

EDIT:  There is an apparently related issue with RAW files. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Original clueless question

Is this a setting? a bug? I am baffled. But here is the problem: in the photo below you see the  Windows 10 Explorer's preview of a photos I took. I looks like the photo in my camera, and like the lighting when I took it. it also looks like that in every editor I have including photoshop. The problem is when I open it in affinity. I ahve no Idea where to go with this. How could I possible color correct it? What is this that I am looking at?

afinity color mcorrection photo.PNG

Edited by DogBot
Make question more useful to others

• Staff

Hi DogBot,

Welcome to the forums.

As it's a JPEG the image should look similar to when it's previewed in Windows. Do you know if the image has a colour profile assigned/included as this will be used when opened by Affinity. Could you upload the image or send me a link via PM and I'll take a look.

Grab the selection brush tool and "paint" the model.  Then go to Refine and adjust feather & smooth to your satisfaction.  I usually go for a 2 to 3 px feather to avoid a "sharp" demarcation between the model and the background.

Next go to Filters > Shadows/Highlights and adjust to your satisfaction.  This will lighten the model and leave the background dark/subdued in order to reduce image clutter.

I usually make this kind of an adjustment in LR or C1 where I have more control and I can apply a clarity adjustment and add some "punch".

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

Hi Lee,

thank you, here is the image. But in general, now I know to look for color profiles. That makes complete sense.  I did not know about this. Thank you!!!!

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

Hi DogBot,

Welcome to the forums.

As it's a JPEG the image should look similar to when it's previewed in Windows. Do you know if the image has a colour profile assigned/included as this will be used when opened by Affinity. Could you upload the image or send me a link via PM and I'll take a look.

P3260272.JPG

Hi DogBot!

For info about color management in general you may find the various topics listed on the Cambridge In Colour Color Management & Printing webpage useful.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7