DarkClown

Workflow bug AD

I'm aware that workflow has never been a real issue for the Affinity products but I will not give up pointing these things out since they still keep me away from using Affinity products on a daily base!

If you want to export objects in AD the export dialog opens and you select a file format, change the required dimensions, choose the sampling method (that of course is not saved as default and always returns to old stupid settings). As a last setting I choose the area (switching to "Export selected objects without background") and annoyingly the dimensions switch back to some random dimensions and I have to restart editing the setting I entered already before. This is really upsetting because Affinity keeps me entering things I already changed before.

Having a curve in AD and I want to change the pressure of the stroke. When start and end of the curve are connected I can only move these points in 10% steps. There is no smooth movement possible but I don't see the reason for this odd behavior. If they are disconnected it works fine. The starting point for the beginning/end of a curve seems to be randomly fixed (for a circle/ellipse it is at the top of the circle). It would save some effort if the angle (degree) or position (percent) of the starting point of a curve could be defined by the user. This would save some stupid workarounds like adding points on the pressure curve in the middle of the curve with the value of 0 to "simulate" another starting point of a curve. As well a function (checkbox) would be helpful to get a smooth curve transition between endpoint and startpoint if required (currently this is always a corner and never smooth - unlike between start- and endpoint where the curve is smooth). The most preferred solution would be to have all curve points being definable bezier curve points to have full control over the pressure curve...

And maybe I did not fully get the functionality - but switching to dotted stroke does not seems to function in the latest version ... as theses stroke buttons actually don't do what I would expect in many ways... (see attached video-file) - but maybe that's due to the fact that some settings are just so little intuitive that I simply don't get how it works ...

2018-02018-03-27_12-33-50.mp4

Cheers, Timo

iCore i7-3770, 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 10 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher latest final & beta
http://www.timobierbaum.com

Hey Timo,

I get your frustration with the settings not being remembered. I still get tripped up by changing the area just before export. I'm sure this is nested in the depths of our bug/improvement reports so I'll dig it out and see what the plan might be to change this.

I've reproduced your dotted line issue. It doesn't work when you have pressure applied so I imagine this should be a relatively easy fix. I'll pass it over for you.

Thanks! 

Oops sorry, do you have any snapping options enabled? It seems to be working smoothly enough for me. Can you do a quick recording please? :) I didn't notice it in the original mp4.

The first video shows the effect moving the connected start- and end-pressurepoint at the same time. It jumps in 10 steps from 100 to 0 ... while moving one endpoint separately it works smoothly. In the end of the video you as well see a display bug (reproducible) at the connecting point of the shape.

Pressure1.mp4

The second video shows the mentioned problem with the unaligned start and endpoint. To split up a curve elsewhere but the predefined 0° Angle you have to add 2 point and drag them down to zero. since start and endpoint come with a contradictory slope you always end up with a corner at the original starting point. Of course you could add additional point to smooth it but depending on the size of the gap in the curve it is close to impossible to smooth it properly. Having a bezier curve for start- and endpoint could solve this issue.
At the end you can see another bug: deleting the additional points is not reflected in the display!

Pressure2.mp4

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Timo

iCore i7-3770, 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 10 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher latest final & beta

For your 1st problem hold the ALT key down when adjusting the Pressure curve

I cant reproduce your second problem, works OK for me (unless I misunderstand you)

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Hi Carl, thanks for your answer. The ALT key disconnects the start- and endpoint ... (I know that) ... but moving them together (connected) only works in steps ... (or am I still doing something wrong?).

For the second topic: Does it work differently for you, when you reproduce what I did in the video?

No, I see the steps as well

But you can step down to approximately where you want to be, then use ALT key to fine tune one side, then release the ALT key and the other side, when moved, will snap in line with the other line

I suspect this may be by design

The second topic gives the results I expect when I move the curve, I also don't get the "bug" where deleting the additional points is not reflected in the display

(I'm on Windows 8.0)

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

OK, for the first point that's a valid workaround ....
Maybe the display bug is related to the video driver by NVIDIA (it's up-to-date) but I can reproduce it.

Okay I can reproduce the pressure incrementation. It should be smooth like it is on Mac. I'll get that logged. 

The second video you attached looks something we've had an issue with for a while and I believe something might be changing for 1.7. 

About the pressure of the stroke, there's a workaround by converting to curves (but we dont have the benefit of using forms this way).

There's another bug with the stroke pressure : it doesn't use the selected rounded angle.

Another point : it would be nice to have an elliptical beginning instead of round for the stroke's pressure, to avoid elongated beginning of strokes.

Being able to enlarge the little stroke pressure panel would be great too !

2018-04-07_125542.png

2018-04-07_123508.png