You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clearing certain area of a filled space (To make it transparent)

Hi everyone, I'm working on a logo and I'm trying to get rid of 2 filled sections of some triangles, the outlines are already done but the fill is still there, the area that I want to clear is the red crossed out part, does anyone know how to do this?

The way I was thinking to do is just clear the fill and use shapes to fill it in instead, merge those and then select the colour, but I feel like that'll take longer than other solutions

I've attached a screenshot

Thanks

Capture.PNG

Dylan SJ Perez

It would be easier to tell if the groups weren’t collapsed in your screenshot, but it looks as though you just need to hide the ‘Logo’ group, select the two outline shapes in the other group and apply the desired fill directly to the selected shapes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It would be easier to tell if the ‘Logo’ group weren’t collapsed in your screenshot, but it looks as though you just need to hide that group, select the two outline shapes and apply the desired fill directly to the selected shapes.

I completely forgot that everything I needed was already cleared, I managed to figure it out, all I had to do was remove the fill, but now everything's transparent, I'll attach the screenshot of the current stats (with the necessary sections expanded)

Based off my understanding I now have to join all of the curves for each side (the N on the left and C on the right) so that there'll only bee 2 entities, if that makes sense? How could I do that?

Cheers

Capture.PNG

Dylan SJ Perez

4 minutes ago, Dylan SJ Perez said:

Based off my understanding I now have to join all of the curves for each side (the N on the left and C on the right) so that there'll only bee 2 entities, if that makes sense? How could I do that?

If you explore the buttons in the Action section of the toolbar, you’ll find that one of them is the ‘Join Curves’ button. Select the two curves of the N and then press that button; repeat for the two curves of the C. You could finish off by pressing the ‘Close Curve’ button to join the start and end nodes of the selected curve with a straight line, but that isn’t really necessary since there are no gaps in this case.

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you explore the buttons in the Action section of the toolbar, you’ll find that one of them is the ‘Join Curves’ button. Select the two curves of the N and then press that button; repeat for the two curves of the C. You could finish off by pressing the ‘Close Curve’ button to join the start and end nodes of the selected curve with a straight line, but that isn’t really necessary since there are no gaps in this case.

That worked perfectly, thank you so much for the help and the quick replies

Dylan SJ Perez

Just now, Dylan SJ Perez said:

That worked perfectly, thank you so much for the help and the quick replies

You’re very welcome, Dylan. Good luck with your project!

Alfred spacer.png

If I've understood your requirements correctly, you could have done this more easily by using compound objects.
Draw a rectangle - or whatever shape you want to cut out of the triangle - and place it over the triangle.
Then select both shapes and use the Subtract function.
If you hold down Alt while subtracting you can later move the rectangle around (and edit it) without needing to edit the nodes - see attached video.

compound.gif

17 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If I've understood your requirements correctly, you could have done this more easily by using compound objects.
Draw a rectangle - or whatever shape you want to cut out of the triangle - and place it over the triangle.
Then select both shapes and use the Subtract function.
If you hold down Alt while subtracting you can later move the rectangle around (and edit it) without needing to edit the nodes - see attached video.

compound.gif

This also a great tip, is there any advantage to either?

Dylan SJ Perez

I think any advantages or disadvantages are really dependant on what you want to do. No technique is inherently right or wrong.
Personally I would use compound shapes until using them is too awkward to do what I need and then look at other techniques.
You can always make a copy of the compound object to come back to if things go wrong.
AD gives you lots of ways to do things, it's just a matter of finding what works best for you in the current circumstances.

47 minutes ago, Dylan SJ Perez said:

This also a great tip, is there any advantage to either?

As Garry says, it depends on what you want to do. For what it’s worth, I would have done it the way he describes, but I thought it better to show you how to fix what you already had (rather than saying, in effect, “I wouldn’t have started from here!”).

Come to think of it, Affinity Designer automatically closes unclosed curves if you try to perform Geometry operations on them, so you should be able to get the desired result by placing the unclosed quadrilateral on top of the unclosed triangle, selecting both and pressing the ‘Subtract’ button.

Alfred spacer.png

It works great and it's easier to do this way, I notice that Garry, yours turned into a compound group, where you could still move around that rectangle, I must have missed something but mine's just turned into a curve, so I can't edit it anymore, it'd make changing it a pain if I have to, though I could keep a copy of the original, how did you manage to make it a compound group?

Dylan SJ Perez