You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not yet an Affinity user but I just updated my OS to High Sierra. Unfortunately High Sierra + Nik + Photoshop don't seem to like each other. Nik Software crashes Photoshop. There's a workaround if you only edit one photo at a time but no workaround if you batch edit using an action. Pretty much ALL my images are edited with Nik and it's impossible to do them one by one due to the bulk of images. I'm interested in knowing whether Affinity works ok with Nik Software and the High Sierra OS. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

• Staff

Hi amorphia,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Nik Collection does work in Affinity Photo on High Sierra, however currently you can't record macros that use plugins, so you will end up with the same problem regarding processing several photos at once. Currently we also don't pass the colour profile info the the plugins so the previews may not look like exactly the image you have in Affinity if you are using wide colour profiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

When I updated Mac to High sierra, the NIK Collection plugin shows the  window to either Buy or demo stating you now only have 15 days remaining of free trail. Trust NIK collection is free, then why this window pops up. When I click on demo and the plugin say HDR effects, the image does not load up. When I click on  Buy, it takes me to  a web page but says Opps the link is broken and cannot reach to  to the page you are looking for.

How to resolve this issue and get NIK collection working in Affinity on a Mac running on High Sierra plz.

16 minutes ago, Ajay said:

Hi

When I updated Mac to High sierra, the NIK Collection plugin shows the  window to either Buy or demo stating you now only have 15 days remaining of free trail. Trust NIK collection is free, then why this window pops up. When I click on demo and the plugin say HDR effects, the image does not load up. When I click on  Buy, it takes me to  a web page but says Opps the link is broken and cannot reach to  to the page you are looking for.

How to resolve this issue and get NIK collection working in Affinity on a Mac running on High Sierra plz.

https://www.dam-photo.com/install-nik-collection-plugins-affinity-photo/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Ajay,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to menu Affinity Photo ▸ Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section, press the Authorise Global button on the bottom right of the window then Authorise button again from the dialog that will open (don't change the path or anything). Restart Affinity Photo and it should then work properly.

I don't think that Nik HDR has ever worked with Affinity. It uses a different interface since it has to load several images.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I don't think that Nik HDR has ever worked with Affinity. It uses a different interface since it has to load several images.

John

Do you mean HDR Efex Pro 2?

Works in mine, in fact all of the NIK plugins work fine

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Do you mean HDR Efex Pro 2?

Works in mine, in fact all of the NIK plugins work fine

Yes, I do mean HDR Efex Pro. Since this requires several input files, how do you load them via the Affinity interface? All the other Nik plug-ins work for me, although I may have to rasterize a layer to get it to do so.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

53 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Yes, I do mean HDR Efex Pro. Since this requires several input files, how do you load them via the Affinity interface? All the other Nik plug-ins work for me, although I may have to rasterize a layer to get it to do so.

John

I use File > New HDR Merge... from the affinity menu because that is effectively what HDR Efex is doing in Photoshop, same process slightly different method, so I don't really see much difference in the process, starting HDR Efex after that is the same as Photoshop.

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

I use File > New HDR Merge... from the affinity menu because that is effectively what HDR Efex is doing in Photoshop, same process slightly different method, so I don't really see much difference in the process, starting HDR Efex after that is the same as Photoshop.

So, are you saying that you don't actually use HDR Efex Pro, you use Affinity's HDR Merge?

John

49 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

So, are you saying that you don't actually use HDR Efex Pro, you use Affinity's HDR Merge?

John

I use HDR Efex pro in combination with HDR Merge

• Staff

Hi John Rostron,

HDR Efex Pro 2 runs in Affinity Photo but can only be applied to a single image (layer). There’s no interface to access the Image Selection Dialog ( similar to *File > Automate > Merge to HDR Efex Pro 2…* in Photoshop) or to the Nik Selective Tool to load a set of bracketed images.

46 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi John Rostron,

HDR Efex Pro 2 runs in Affinity Photo but can only be applied to a single image (layer). There’s no interface to access the Image Selection Dialog ( similar to *File > Automate > Merge to HDR Efex Pro 2…* in Photoshop) or to the Nik Selective Tool to load a set of bracketed images.

Yes, that is what I thought.

John

19 hours ago, John Rostron said:

You probably already know this but you can use the stand alone HDR Efex Pro 2.app (which should have been installed if you added an extra host application during the install process) to open multiple files for HDR processing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

You probably already know this but you can use the stand alone HDR Efex Pro 2.app (which should have been installed if you added an extra host application during the install process) to open multiple files for HDR processing.

Yes, I have tried this once, but I recall I had a devil of a job getting the target files into the program, after which it worked fine. I have, since then, use Affinity HDR or Photomatix.

John

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I use HDR Efex pro in combination with HDR Merge

Could you please describe your workflow to do that.

John

14 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Yes, I have tried this once, but I recall I had a devil of a job getting the target files into the program, after which it worked fine.

Hmmm. On my Mac, it is as simple as using the File > Open menu item & selecting multiple files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7