akg10tb

Can't round-trip to Affinity from Mac photos

I am trying to edit a photo in Mac 'Photos' by using the extension 'Edit in Affinity Photo'. When I try this, I get the message 'Affinity Photo could not be launched. Please press Cancel.'

Why can I not do round-tripping? I am running Mac OSX 10.13.3 (High Sierra) and Affinity 1.6.7

Any ideas gratefully received.

Andrew Griffiths

Chris - thank you that works. I can edit a photo in Affinity from within Mac Photos by right clicking as you suggested  - however I can't see how to leave Affinity and return to Mac Photos where I should be able to view the newly edited photo. In other words this is not round- tripping, it seems I have to save the newly edited photo from within Affinity which is not what I'm after.

Can you advise how I can do the round-tripping?.

Many thanks.

Yup that works. Great many thanks. [I'm still mystified why the conventional round–tripping doesn't work but yours and Chris' solution does, so I can forget the other method!]

The extension is working fine for me here. Have you tried to restart Affinity and try again? If that doesn't work you may want to try to reset the app: launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. Then try sending the file again using the extension. The process is the similar as for the Edit with command. As soon as you finish editing in Affinity Photo go to File ▸ Save (or Close - in this case it will prompt you to save the file), then close the document tab in Affinity Photo. The file should be updated in Apple Photos.

Chris – many thanks. Clearing the user data didn't work, but the right click method does and in fact it's quicker than using the edit then extension buttons within Mac Photos, so all fine for me now!

Andrew