You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've used Suitcase to remove extraneous fonts from my user library but there's still a great number of fonts remaining in the system that show up in the drop down of Designer.  Is there some way to manage the fonts in that menu option?  I know I can limit the number by placing some in a favorites category but I'd like to have the general drop down exclude all the irrelevent options.

2018-03-26_12-37-11.png

What version of the Mac OS are you using? In general, Apple says you should not attempt to remove or disable System fonts because that can cause stability issues. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

40 minutes ago, owenr said:

I use the macOS Font Book utility to disable these fonts so they will not show in apps.

On my Mac running High Sierra Font Book will not allow me to disable or remove any of the fonts in the System folder. I think this is true for all versions of the macOS that have SIP enabled.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

May for a future version Serif could allow some hide/exclude function for the dropdown list of fonts.

Best regards!

Personally, I think disabling or removing Mac System/LibraryFont folder fonts should be done only if all of the following are true:

1. You have a compelling need to do so, like resolving font conflicts that can't be resolved any other way.

2. You have & know how to use some method of restoring the system in case anything goes wrong.

3. If you need to disable SIP to do this, that you understand & are comfortable with the consequences of running without it & what could go wrong while you are.

4. You understand that an update to the OS or some apps could cause issues that might take considerable time to diagnose & resolve & are OK with that.

Otherwise, I think for the Affinity apps it is best & safest to just use the Favorites feature, which probably will take less time to manage anyway & won't affect anything else.

But that is just my opinion.

Affinity Photo 

All this informtion is for Macs. Can anyone advise me how to safely disable fonts in windows. I have tried hiding them, but it does not seem to affect loading times.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

32 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Can anyone advise me how to safely disable fonts in windows. I have tried hiding them, but it does not seem to affect loading times.

Try FontFrenzy. I haven't tried it since Win7 or earlier, so you might have to set a compatibility mode (and possibly also 'Run as administrator') to make it work on Win10.

One of its options is 'FrenzySnap', which takes a snapshot of your installed fonts. Having used this option (so that you can easily revert to the status quo ante if need be) you can safely use the 'Defrenzy' option, which uninstalls all of the fonts that are not essential to Windows.

Edit: I've just noticed that the above Make Use Of page says 'You can download Font Frenzy from here' but doesn't provide a direct link. You should be able to find a download link via sites such as MajorGeeks or Softonic.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, owenr said:

My recommendation was to disable unwanted fonts, not remove them from the system, and therefore disabling SIP is not necessary.

All the fonts in the Mac System/LibraryFonts folder (114 files in High Sierra) are protected by SIP, & can neither be removed nor disabled via Font Book or by other means unless SIP is disabled or you mount the startup disk from another Mac. The includes the various Heiti, Hiragino, Kohinoor, PingFang, & several other font families.

Affinity Photo 

As RCR says, some fonts cannot trashed/disbled in osx but you can categorize your fonts with osx font-book and using this categories inside AP.

5abbb6afa67d1_Bildschirmfoto2018-03-28um17_32_06.thumb.png.58123bee9fbf84d7c469d1169b80eb31.png

As you can see, i have lot of smart-folder-categorys.  The problem is, you can only reach this via the sign-panel. It would be really nice if you had this dialog instead APs own small-font-"oraganzier" directly in the context-bar and if you could select a category/font as standard for new doks. Death to the Helvetica! ;)

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

As RCR says, some fonts cannot trashed/disbled in osx but you can categorize your fonts with osx font-book and using this categories inside AP.

Unfortunately, for me Font Book smart & regular collections & Affinity do not play well together. Either the pop up list in the Character panel is off by one category (whatever one I select shows the collection just above it in Font Book) or worse, selecting certain of the smart collections immediately crashes either Affinity app. :(

This has been the case for several years & nothing I have done has corrected it, including resetting Affinity Designer and/or Affinity Photo, validating every font in every collection in Font Book, & even reinstalling the apps & the OS. I send crash reports to Apple so they must have a few hundred by now, & I hope some have been passed on to Serif (I have the share option enabled). I have mentioned it before in the Bugs forum but got no response there, I suppose because it must be something unique to my system, but I have no idea what that might be.

Affinity Photo 

• 7 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 5:09 AM, A_B_C said:

I would say, this is the way to go … :)

(Unfortunately, not all “unwanted” fonts can be disabled this way. Some of them are said to be required for the system. Well …)

The idea is not to disable the system fonts - they are used in all sorts of Mac system apps.  But in Affinity Designer I want to see my design fonts, not my system fonts. If there could be a way to disable/enable system (more so disable) then the font list would be clean and only contain fonts that are activated in Right Font, Suitcase, Skyfonts or Adobe Fonts.  Right now it's a pain to navigate through.

On 3/28/2018 at 12:27 PM, R C-R said:

Unfortunately, for me Font Book smart & regular collections & Affinity do not play well together. Either the pop up list in the Character panel is off by one category (whatever one I select shows the collection just above it in Font Book) or worse, selecting certain of the smart collections immediately crashes either Affinity app. :(

Regarding the "off by one" issue I was having, that was the result of a Font Book collection named "Favorites." Apparently, the Affinity apps could not tell the difference between that & the same named Affinity "Favorites" font group. Changing the Font Book collection name to something else (I decided on "Font Book Favs") resolved that problem.

Affinity Photo 

• 10 months later...

It seems that Apple is adding more and more fonts in every OS iteration (current version is Catalina) to the "always activated System fonts folder". So it would really be great, if Serif Apps could only show non-System fonts in their apps. My problem is navigating the 4+ page font lists in all applications and sorting out the fonts that I have activated and fonts that are part of the ever growing System font list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So you want to hide some fonts eyyy.

Two Solutions. 

Rightfont can do it even with the trial version. 

Typeface can do it following a small procedure. 

They can't do all of them but they can get most of them. 

Typeface procecudure

You can deactivate them in Typeface, but you’ll have to import them manually:

1. Open Typeface
2. Choose File > Import…
3. Navigate to /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental
4. Import the ’Supplemental’ folder

That folder contains optional system fonts, which can be deactivated by Typeface. It includes the ‘document support’ Noto fonts.