You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make Scale with Object a default setting?

Have been wondering about this for some time now.  Is there any way one could set  AD to have the scale with object  set to default?  I do a lot of cartoon type work and thus I am using lines, shapes, effects, etc. for each little character.  I check the box as I am starting the draw, but when I am finished....and group all together, the box is always unchecked.  I am getting better about remembering to look before I finalize....but not always, so as I use the character again and resize ...some of it looks out of kilter if I have forgotten to re-check it.  Would be ever so easy if I could just make it stay checked by a default setting.  Am I missing something as to why it unchecks itself? Thanks for any input on this.  

My mistake....sorry.  I thought you meant actually hit the keys for + and 1.  I tend to take things literally.  I did that while working on a piece in AD, and although it reduced the opacity , to my amazement it also checked the scale with object box, which is why I originally asked the question here among all the most knowledgeable  users/developers of AD.

I realize ...too late...that this is most likely... not at all what you meant.

I'll back quietly out of the room now with a good sized blush on my face.

• 3 months later...

Create a new document, draw a line, set the options on it to how you want, then use Edit > Defaults > Synchronise to Selection to make them the default for new lines, and then Edit > Defaults > Save to make them the defaults for new documents. This should work for most object attributes, including stroke scale with object. (It doesn't work for scaling filter effects.)

ideally all scale attributes should be set to scale with object by default  - massive time saver - just need a tick box to turn it off, for the rare occasion that you might need things not to scale

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

ideally all scale attributes should be set to scale with object by default  - massive time saver - just need a tick box to turn it off, for the rare occasion that you might need things not to scale

Rare occasion? I disagree completely. Many, many of us illustrators do almost all of our path drawing with stroke weight set to "hairline" widths for visual accuracy and clarity at all zooms. (In fact, Affinity sorely needs a proper Hairline stroke width setting.) It's a must in anything the least bit technical, but is just as important at the opposite end of the style spectrum for loose, cartoony drawing with Brushes.

Suppose you're "freehand" sketching a cartoon face with a particular tapered brush stroke setting. Everything presently has a consistent stroke weight. You decide one of the eyes just needs to be enlarged a bit. You really want its stroke weight to enlarge at the same time? That would make its stroke weight look like it was drawn with a "fatter crayon", and would be stylistically inconsistent with the rest of the drawing.

There are literally countless such situations in which don't want stroke weight to scale when you scale the paths to which it is applied.

And yes, by the same token, there are also countless situations in which one would want stroke weight to scale with the paths to which they are applied. Logo design is a case-in-point (although really there should be no strokes in final logo masters).

All of that is why it is a user-defined setting, as it should be, and neither should be a "default" unless the user deliberately sets it as a default. This is one of many interface "defacto standards" that has been effectively "settled" by long decades of drawing software development. I'm all for innovation, but many things are the way they are because it's been long ago proved that it's the most sensible right way to implement them.

JET

• 1 year later...

It seems as though there are use cases for both types of users, those of us who need it the same setting always and would be better served by a preferences check box, and those such as the user above for whom the current implementation works better. Like those of us who love a good marshmelllow, and those who can't stand it. In my case, this is a tremendous timesuck and source of frustrating errors, and just like a spongy, tasteless marshmellow, I can't stand it.

Could not a feature be implemented that allows one to have it set always for some of us, and on a case by case basis for the others? This seems as though it would accommodate all of us and serve the user base as a whole better, contribute to global peace and understanding, and make the world just an eensy bit better place to live.

Isn't the easiest thing just to make it so that it stays as it is until the user changes it. Then you can set your preference once and not worry about having to keep resetting it.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 10 months later...
On 5/6/2020 at 10:13 PM, lookandlearn1976 said:

Please, please, please make a global default scale with object option!!! (unless of course it's a 1.8 feature I'm not seeing......). I feel like i'm fixing stroke widths more than anything else, on every illustration. 

There is a global option to scale strokes with object. See my post above on June 27 2018.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

@infoist

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 
As requested we have not approved the post (in this thread) with your email address in. However I would say we cannot put you in direct with any developer as they only participate in thread when they choose to, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 6 months later...
On 6/27/2018 at 2:22 PM, Dave Harris said:

Create a new document, draw a line, set the options on it to how you want, then use Edit > Defaults > Synchronise to Selection to make them the default for new lines, and then Edit > Defaults > Save to make them the defaults for new documents. This should work for most object attributes, including stroke scale with object. (It doesn't work for scaling filter effects.)

Works for me for the pen tool, pencil tool and shapes but not for the vector brush.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 year later...

Okay. So now I want to copy one drawing to another page with other drawings.

Thanks to poor GUI design I now have to spent my afternoon selecting all curves one by one, tick the stroke pulldown, tap the "scale to object" checkbox.
So my transform "tool" will visually scale te drawing to the size I need it in to match the other objects.
And no, making a transform group does not help, the text stays the same size. I now need to go in and change the font sizes of all text one by one.

I can't beging to describe how bad GUI design this is.

This thread was started before AD had the "Select Same" and "Select Object" options

Maybe you can now do what you want in one go using them

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 2:34 PM, Dave Harris said:

There is a global option to scale strokes with object. See my post above on June 27 2018.

Isn't this like have a key safe next to the front door but hiding the key under a stone so people don't find it?

On 5/14/2020 at 2:34 PM, Dave Harris said:

But when you create a new document it reverts back to unchecked. That means you have to remember to repeat the 'set default' every new document. It's a document default and not a global default. Can it not be set like 'use mouse wheel to zoom' is global. Once set in the new document you can then delete the line, save as a template and it will be set each time you use that template. You would need to do it to ALL the templates you use but the Affinity templates can't be altered.