You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I hope this is the correct place to post this question?

Firstly; I am not at all sure what the correct term for this operation is called - all I know is: in photoshop it is very easy to perform in just a few actions. In fact, I have to keep reverting back to photoshop in order to perform it because I can't find how to do it within the Affinity program. I am pulling my hair out in frustration simply for the fact that, if I have a file in Affinity that I am trying to edit with said operation, I can't open it in photoshop because the file is not the correct format - so I have to start all over again within photoshop with the file I am working on then open it in Affinity with correct channel effect. It's really annoying when you don't know how. . .you know?

The description below is as applied in photoshop - obviously.

1. The file in question is selected by using the CHANNEL PALETTE: in this case the RED CHANNEL.

2. A selection is made from the RED CHANNEL.

3. All other visible channels are turned off.

4. The selected RED CHANNEL is then inverted.

5. A new empty layer is created.

6. The new empty layer is then bucket filled with the desired colour.

RESULT: The image has now been transformed and appears 'ghost-like' or transparent.

I can select the channel in Affinity but all it does is select the outline and, after using the bucket fill, the whole image changes to whatever colour I have used and is NOT transparent with ALL DETAIL INTACT - which is the desired effect I am going for.

Like I said; I have no idea what this operation is technically called, but is this possible in Affinity Photo?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• Staff

Hi AffinityJules,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to the Channels panel, right click the Composite Red channel and select Load To Pixel Selection. In the Pixel Selection channel a little below click the Invert icon on the right, then go to menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer. Press ⌘ (cmd) + D to deselect the pixel selection. Click the Fill  layer in the Layers panel and change its colour from the Colour panel as you see fit.

Hi MEB,

You're a life saver!

Just tried it and it worked after a couple of attempts. I never thought to right click the channel - it was that simple.

Oh well. . .we live and learn.

Thank you lots.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.