You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer on Chrome OS / Linux

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KeKyKo said:

Another vote for Affinity Designer on ChromeOS.  PLEASE 😀

I can't see it happening - Chromebooks are minimally specced while graphics software is notoriously resource hungry.  Working with graphics files stored online would be my idea of purgatory!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

12 hours ago, IanSG said:

I can't see it happening - Chromebooks are minimally specced while graphics software is notoriously resource hungry.  Working with graphics files stored online would be my idea of purgatory!

I am using a Pixel Slate i7 w/ 256gb SSD &16gb of RAM.  Im sure this could handle it.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:05 AM, KeKyKo said:

I am using a Pixel Slate i7 w/ 256gb SSD &16gb of RAM.  Im sure this could handle it.

You're probably right, but the i7 Slate wasn't exactly a typical Chromebook.  And there's still the issue of online storage.  I think Chromebooks are the right solution to a lot of problems, but running graphics software isn't one of them.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Clip Paint Pro/EX offers a chromeOS option ... subscription only, but 1usd/mo or EX for $99usd/year ....  i bought affinity so will have to get clip for times when can only tote the chromebook. Too bad! CB lets me be so-o-o-o much more mobile for initial ideas and final polishes on the road, even using my phone for a hotspot ... My windows box is a workhorse, but i gotta be mobile about 50% of the time considering analog-art-atelier and home-based publishing. Learning curve to 2 new softwares gonna be more challenging.... g-a-a-ack! But here goes ...

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, IanSG said:

I have a very low end chromebook 4 gb of ram and other bad specs but it still run photo editors with little to no problem. they could just reuse the ipad version and use it that way

4 hours ago, ikd3434 said:

I have a very low end chromebook 4 gb of ram and other bad specs but it still run photo editors with little to no problem. they could just reuse the ipad version and use it that way

From a development POV, porting an app from iOS to ChromeOS would probably be a case of rewriting from scratch. I'd be surprised if much could actually be ported.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

10 hours ago, ikd3434 said:

they could just reuse the ipad version and use it that way

No, they could not "reuse" the iPad version for any other OS, anymore than they could "reuse" the Mac version for Windows or visa versa.

They are completely different operating systems requiring very different API's to do anything.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Let's see... "Port" Swift to C, plus C++, plus Javascript, plus HTML5 and what else... maybe Python?  🤔 Never mind all the GUI calls...

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/