Paul Churchill

Affinity Publisher file import from PagePlus - PLEASE ?

I was so excited to begin using Affinity Publisher, but I am back to my old trusty Page Plus X9.  I am disappointed that Serif is abandoning Page Plus, much less that they didn't just bring out a Mac version.  I know they want it to be compatible with Affinity Design and Photo, but I find it more cumbersome than Page Plus and don't know if it is worth the effort to change over.  Just sayin'.

On 10/26/2016 at 1:21 AM, Fairportfan said:

If i am unable to directly import my PagePlus documents, i guess PPX9 will be the end of a long association with Serif

And you think you will find a 3rd party product that will import them?

Think of the Affinity range of products as being from a different company and it starts to make more sense.  Not quite accurate, but it is a different team in effect, and intentionally a fresh start.

On 11/3/2017 at 12:34 PM, TonyB said:

Affinity Publisher V1 is unlikely to support footnotes, contents or indexes.

That seems like a rather odd set of omissions, but I certainly do hope they make it very soon after...

On 5/13/2018 at 8:11 PM, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

it would not be beyond the ability of any decent coder to create an import filter,

or a tool to translate it to RTF which would make it compatible not only with Affinity Publisher but with a bunch of other tools also?

On 8/9/2014 at 9:24 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

I don't see why PDF is an insufficient transport format.. if both ends write / read PDF properly, it isn't..

But yes, what we're really saying is no - sorry..

AndyS

I once had to import a bunch of PDF files into PagePlus. I did not open them in PagePlus. I opened them in PDF-XChange Viewer, copied and pasted the text, and flowed that through a story in a copy of one of my previous PagePlus books, which I used as a template for the layout. Finding and replacing all of the carriage returns and applying paragraph styles was tedious, but still a lot easier than fixing a PDF file opened in PagePlus. 

Do think again about importing WritePlus files if you want any of your old Serif customers to migrate to Affinity Publisher. There is currently not one good reason: Publisher has fewer features, has a fairly steep relearning curve, and does not even import RTF satisfactorily. Recreating index marks, footnotes, cross-references, and inline graphics is just too much work to make it worth trying. 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

4 hours ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Recreating index marks, footnotes, cross-references, and inline graphics is just too much work to make it worth trying. 

You can't re-create them until you can create them.

Until Publisher implements those features it obviously won't be importing them.  That is one of the reasons that was recently cited by Serif for not having Word document import support yet: